cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joelakoch
Contributor II
Contributor II

Edit Window not appearing for expressions and Dimensions

When using QlikView it appears my window for editing Expressions and Dimensions has disappeared. When I click on Properties, Expressions and click on the 3 little dots to edit the expression the window doesn't show up. If I click anywhere in QlikView I get the beeping sound like the window opened up somewhere and I'm not clicking in it. 

I've looked through the forums to find help and tried a couple tricks like using Windows key + Up or Down to maximize the window with no luck. I've also tried the Alt+Space+M to try and move the window back onto the screen but that doesn't work either. I saw some other solutions where you had to have a box checked for the window to show up but I don't see that in my options. I'm running version 12.10.20600.0 SR8 desktop version of QlikView. 

Any help would be much appreciated as I am currently unable to edit any of my reports. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
joelakoch
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help and provide a follow up to the issue.

Finally got a hold of IT and tried a re install but that didn't work. Turns out there was nothing wrong with Qlikview but it was a company issue. They pushed a new Anitvirus/firewall software and only half removed our old one. The old one was blocking access to a server that hosts our Qlikview data. Once IT removed it completely and I restarted everything worked. 

I wish I could explain more, but I'm just happy to have it working again. Thanks again for all the help. 

View solution in original post

15 Replies
dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

its usually behind the task bar somewhere.

i have faced this and few things that worked for me are 

task bar properties - automatically hide task bar, show task bar in all desktops

i make the change and go to qlikview and it appears. you resize it and press ok from next time it should work properly

joelakoch
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried hiding the task bar and moving it to the top to see If I could find the window, but it didn't seem to be there. So far no luck. 

I'm hoping my IT department can reinstall the software and that will fix the issue. If that doesn't work I'll be in some real trouble. 

dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

did you try disabling show task bar in all desktops (missed to type disable)?

try above with an external monitor with desktops extended

marcus_sommer

There is no need to reinstall Qlik - this window is either hidden below other windows or it's outside from your screen - unintentionally moved there or it's on another (not yet plugged) monitor. Within the monitor-settings you could enforce to show everything on one (your main) monitor - and then you will get access again to this window.

Beside this are also various shortcuts available to move windows just the keyboard, like windows + shift + left arrow and many more.

- Marcus

marcus_sommer

Just forgot to mention that the Qlik windows settings are stored within the settings.ini - you may adjust this file or removed it - you should make a backup before because it stored multiple other things, too.

- Marcus

joelakoch
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you for the suggestions. I tried forcing everything on one monitor with no luck. I tried shortcuts to move the window but those don't work either. I found the settings.ini file located here

C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\QlikTech\QlikView

I deleted the whole INI file and re setup everything and I'm still unable to get to this window. I'm not sure what else to try at this point. I'm not sure If I accidentally changed some settings somewhere or what, but I can't get to the edit window no matter what I do. It is almost like qlikview is freezing except I still here the ding noise every time I click on the window which makes me think that window is out there somewhere, but I can't get to it. 

The other thing that is strange is that when I click on the 3 dots to edit an expression it moves away from the the qlikview window to whatever I was using last. So, if I was just in chrome it moves over to the chrome window. It is almost like it is trying to open the window but fails, than moves off qlikview to something else. Not sure if that is helpful.  

marcus_sommer

Did it ever work on your machine? If yes, did you change anything in regard to Qlik, the OS or the graphic driver?

Did you make a re-start?

Beside this do you open the qvw directly within the desktop client or per open on the server?

- Marcus

joelakoch
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Yes this has worked in the past and is a feature I use daily. 

did you change anything in regard to Qlik, the OS or the graphic driver? - Not that I'm aware of. 

Beside this do you open the qvw directly within the desktop client or per open on the server? - I use the desktop client. 

marcus_sommer

Try it again after a re-start and without opening any other tools or windows - just only QlikView. If I understand your previous comment the Qlik window isn't only invisible else that Qlik lose the focus - maybe this is not happening if there is no other window.

- Marcus