Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Eliminating Synthetic Key

I have a unique table (Table A) of 5 columns with text strings, dates, and nulls. I want to link the text strings in Table A with the text strings in another table (Table B), but have not found a way to do so without creating a synthetic key (I put the Table A columns in Table B). I was wondering if there was a way to do this without having to do so. Table B contains only the text string data in the 5 columns in Table A, e.g.:

Table A:                                                                                               Table B:

Col 1     Col 2     Col 3     Col 4     Col 5                                               J

5/9         5/10        5/11       5/12        5/13                                               K

J            M            N           O            Q                                                 L

K                                        P                                                               M

L                                                                                                          N

O

P

5/16       5/17        5/18       5/19        5/20                                              Q

R            S                                      T                                                   R

U                                                  S

V                                                  T

W                                                 U

X                                                  V

W

X

I tried concatenating the two tables, but had no luck with eliminating the synthetic key. Would this have to be accomplished using a composite key? And if I have to do that, can I combine the auto number feature with a sql query?

15 Replies
avinashelite

if you need like that, then you need to merge all the columns in Table A as single column like

LOAD [col 1] as Company

from

tableA;

LOAD [col 2] as Company

from

tableA;

etc

then you will get the perfect link , try this and let me know the results

Not applicable
Author

And leave both Key and Key2? How can I create a relationship between the merged columns table and Tables A & B? I still need to present Table A in the dashboard as it is in the load script

avinashelite

Once you combine all the 5 columns , all the data will be merged in one column so finally in Table A you will have only one column..rename that column to Company i.e as you required in table B..Qlikview will link the tables only with common keys so it will automatically give you the desired results

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Not applicable
Author

Understood - but I need a way to link the Merged Columns table and the original Table A, because I need to present Table A in the dashboard exactly as it is in the load script.

avinashelite

Then my first solution is better but you said no need to get linked with the other keys.......that's not possible in this case..OR you could add one extra condition in list box and other charts like

if(getselectedcount(company)>0 and getfieldselection(company)=field_name,field_name)