Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Error when exporting very large table to Excel

Hi everyone,

I have a problem when exporting large pivot table to Excel (300K rows x 70 columns ~ some 25 million cells).

Thing is .xls is created, of course with a lot of sheets, but on try to open it, Excel reports error ...

"Excel found unreadable content in.... " and tries to repair the file, mostly in vain...formatting and good deal of data is missing

When data is filtered and dataset narrowed down, it works ok. So I figured out its not probably problem with data, but memory.

Server has enough memory for sure, QV is 32-bit. Export memory lilmit is set to 1024 MB (maximum). Would 64 bit make any difference and allow QV to utilize more memory on export? I guess it might be limitation of Excel 2007 when creating Excel 2003 file.

On the other hand, old feature request..are there any plans to allow direct export to Excel 2007..with all formatting etc.

Thanks

2 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

Hi,

not quite clear, why you wish to handle 300K rows in Excel. Would recommend to save as .txt or .csv and pick up the data with a more appropriate program.

HTH

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Yes, it is a limit of Excel. Excel files (the new xlsx files excluded, I think) have a limit of 65,536 rows. As Peter mentioned, you can use CSV instead.