cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klaus_feldam
Creator II
Creator II

Exclude double entries from calculation

I would very much appreciate some assistance with the exclusion of double entries from an AVG calculation.

In the example below, I have three records, two of which is are related to the same sales activity. While both records are valid, I only want to count the latest record in my AVG calculation of how many days the activity took to close.

Currently, my AVG calculation comes up with an average of 39 days to close.

It should only be 28.

Any ideas of a quick way of only including the latest sales activity in the calculation?

IDSales AreaSales PersonStart DateEnd DateDays to Close
123OrlandoDonald Smith3/19/145/19/1461
234Los AngelesJan Anderson4/4/144/30/1426
123OrlandoDonald Smith4/19/145/19/1430
Avg39
Avg (without first ID)28
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Here is a solution that uses the data that you posted above. The expression will work in a chart or text box.

It calculates the avg by summing only 1 record per ID where the start date = max start date for that ID and divides by the number of IDs

expression:

=sum( aggr( if( Max( total <ID> [Start Date]) = [Start Date], [Days to Close]), ID, [Sales Area],[Sales Person],[Start Date],[End Date]))

/

count( DISTINCT ID)

Capture.PNG.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the source of this data?

This can be done in SQL (If thats where it comes from) with a window function:

Select

Rank() Over(Partition by ID, [Sales Area] Order by [Start Date] desc, [End Date] as RecordOrder

Then, in your application you could add {$<RecordOrder={1}>} to your expressions.

Not sure how best to do this at the application level.

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

Here is a solution that uses the data that you posted above. The expression will work in a chart or text box.

It calculates the avg by summing only 1 record per ID where the start date = max start date for that ID and divides by the number of IDs

expression:

=sum( aggr( if( Max( total <ID> [Start Date]) = [Start Date], [Days to Close]), ID, [Sales Area],[Sales Person],[Start Date],[End Date]))

/

count( DISTINCT ID)

Capture.PNG.png

ali_hijazi
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

I would do the following in the script

I first sort data by ID and date desc

and then I reload again saying:

if(RowNO() = 1 or ID <> previous(ID), 1,peek(rank)+1) as rank

then in the expression I would write sum({<rank={1}>} days_to_close)

hope this helps

I can walk on water when it freezes
klaus_feldam
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks, Jonathan.

Extremely helpful.

Question:

[Days to Close] is a calculation of [Start Date] - [End Date]. I wonder how a revised would formula look.

Like this?

=sum( aggr( if( Max( total <ID> [Start Date]) = [Start Date], ([Start Date] - [End Date])), ID, [Sales Area],[Sales Person],[Start Date],[End Date]))

/

count( DISTINCT ID)

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

That should work too.  You could also use the INTERVAL function to format the interval in Days, hours, minutes etc...

Did it work ?

klaus_feldam
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Yes, it worked well.

Thank you very much, Jonathan.