Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Export Sheet to File with ExportBitmapToFile

Hi,

I am trying to export the entire content of a sheet to a png-file with the ExportBitmapToFile-function. The sheet is built on a high resolution of 1920 * 1080 to be shown on a HD-TV.

The problem is that the exported png-file will be cropped / truncated if the resolution of the computer/server exporting the png-file is less than 1920 * 1080. For unknown reason QlikView only exports up to the current resolution of the computer/server, not taking into consideration what the actual resolution of the QlikView-document is.

This specifically causes a problem when trying to run the export as a batch job on the QlikView-server without being logged on as the resolution will then default to what the (remote...) server has.

There are similar questions on this forum, but from what I can see, none of them have been solved.

Has anyone been able to find a working solution to this common problem?

Attaching a 1920 * 1080 screen/computer to run the export jobs is of course an option, that I would hope to be able to avoid.

Please, do notice that this has nothing to with maximizing QlikView window or similar. It is also possible to export individual objects in any resolution. The problem is a full sheet export.

It is also worth noting that the same problem exists if you manually right click and choose "Export Image to File" in a document with larger resolution than your computer, even though you for example have tried "Fit Zoom to Window", so it is not only a macro-problem.

Kind regards

Niklas

11 Replies
gustavgager
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

I to have this issue and i really would like it resolved. I have tried using Macro to change the screen resolution but that doesnt really work. So is it possible to make QV ignore the resolution and paerhaps add the resolution the maco itself?

marcus_sommer

I don't think that there is any possibility to get a graphic-export bigger then the possible screen resolution. An alternatively might be to print this sheet as PDF and use it instead of a picture.

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I really should not take credit for this, but a former colleague came up with the idea to use the Container object to avoid the dependency on screen resolution.

Not as pretty, but if you can fit all your objects into a grid container, you can then export that Object rather than the entire Sheet. Exporting Objects does not rely on screen resolution.

Takes some squeezing, but end result is quite ok.

You can even fit Containers within Containers to really utilize the grid functionality.

Ensure to set Presentation > Container Type > Grid.

Kind regards

Niklas

marcus_sommer

Before fitting all sheet-objects into a container-grid try a simple testing with a few objects to check if the logic worked then actually the container is a kind of virtual place-holder and not a real object and you couldn't print or export a container as such only the single objects within them.

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

We have 10+ of them in place already, so it definitely works.

Kind regards

Niklas

gustavgager
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

What function do you use for exporting. I cant seem to get ti to work.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

ActiveDocument.GetSheetByID("SH02").Activate
ActiveDocument.GetApplication.WaitForIdle
ActiveDocument.GetSheetObject("ExportContainer").ExportBitmapToFile "D:\dashboard.png"

Something similar to that. SH02 is the Sheet Id and ExportContainer is the Contained Id.

Niklas

marcus_sommer

It worked! I have never tried it with the API and simply assumed that it wouldn't be possible because those functions are missing within the gui.

- Marcus

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Attached is a quick and dirty example.

Kind regards

Niklas