Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daz4
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor

Export to Excel

A table has 18 columns and many rows.

I cannot export to excel, when I try I just get a grey cross across the table. 

Even if I only select a single row it does the same thing. 

If I remove a random 4-5 columns it then works. 

How do I fix it?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

This means that not the number of columns and rows respectively the size of the data-set and/or the complexity of the content is causing the issue else it looked that there is any incompatibility between the object and the Excel export-libraries. I'm not absolutely sure but nearly no tool will use for it own libraries else MS standard libraries. So it's rather unlikely that Qlik could fix anything or providing a special support.

IMO most likely for such behaviour is any invalid evaluation within the object - especially within the meta-data. Means extra calculations for conditions, labels, title, colors but also dimension/expression-groups and so on which may return NULL and/or any error and/or are empty and the library couldn't handle it and the export-routine crashed. Even it's seldom there is also a probability that the object is corrupt in some way (created within other major-releases, copy & paste from different applications, multiple type-changes of the object, ...).

To find such issues could be quite hard. Therefore I suggest to re-create the object from the scratch. Copy and paste from the expressions - maybe with an intermediate editor - is ok. but no copy & paste of any properties. Even by 20 columns it's take not long and after each 3 columns you tries to export. Now you will see fast where it breaks or not and if you could look if the cause could be fixed ... and step by step you extend your object again ... or when you found the cause you may fix it within the origin object.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
marcus_sommer

It seems that your object hit any memory-threshold by the export-job. I assume that your table isn't just a table-box else a table-chart with various expressions. Therefore take a look on them if they could be optimized (especially avoiding nested if-loops, aggr.constructs, interrecord-functions and similar). Also the data-model could have a huge impact in regard to the memory-consumption of UI measures.

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hi @Daz4,

Is this issue occurring when using QlikView Desktop or when accessing app on the QlikView Server AccessPoint?

Can you provide a screen capture of the issue?

What is the total number of rows?

What is the full build version of QlikView (i.e. 12.70.20100)?

Best Regards

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
Daz4
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Thanks for your reply. I will see if I can further optimise the chart. 

I would have thought that once the table is loaded though that the export would not need to access the calculations. 

And if I select a single row then how can that use up all the memory?

Daz4
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Thanks for your reply.

Its just a grey cross over the chart. 

It is an old version though as it isn't really effective to update the way its set up. 

marcus_sommer

I'm not absolutely sure but I think that the Excel-export isn't identically with the Qlik data-structure and the view (virtual table behind the object + the UI rendering) and therefore it requires a new calculation and new rendering for Excel and therefore the memory consumption increased.

In regard to select just a single row - try it in this way:

• saving the application on another sheet as this one with your export-table - which also contained appropriate selections possibilities to reduce the table to a single row
  • closing the app and quit the QlikView-instance
  • opening the app again and applying the needed selections to reduce the table
  • now switching to the sheet with your table
  • executing the export

The aim for the above measures is to exclude any impact that an object-caching may have. What happens now?

NadiaB
Support
Support

Hi @Daz4 

By any chance could you provide the following details ?

Are you using a QlikView native object or are you doing this from an extension?

What is the content of the columns you are removing  text data type, images, long text values?

Do you believe it could be due to data type or due to amount of columns?

Do you see any errors in the developer tools ?

Could you attach a screenshot that shows the issue ?

If you right click on the object, do you still see the options to export (Send to Excel, Export ) or you don't see anything at all ?

How many rows are you attempting to export? 

Thank you ! 

Don't forget to mark as "Solution Accepted" the comment that resolves the question/issue. #ngm
Daz4
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Hi there, thanks for your reply!

No extensions are applied. the content is all text/numerical, nothing major although a lot of calcs.  I have other tables with similar columns and they work, so dont think there should be a problem. Its only 20 columns. 

I haven't used any Dev tools.

This is the screenshot of when I click Excel export icon. I do not get this with any other reports. Even as per below when i limit to 3 rows. There is no delay it does this in 1-2 seconds of clicking. 

Daz4_0-1675390200386.png

All the export options are available, but same thing happens even when trying the export option. It only works for csv.

The export is approx. 2500 rows, and 18 columns. It makes no difference if i limit the number of rows. 

Anything to mention, is that the only calculations are = sum(***) type, nothing more complicated. 

marcus_sommer

To clarify - the export worked for csv but not Excel or no export is working?

Daz4
Partner - Contributor
Partner - Contributor
Author

Export to CSV works fine.

Export to either version of Excel, or directly via the XL icon on the table, give the above issue.