Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Extremely slow Excel export

Hi all,

I have a pretty large data model (almost 200m rows across over 100 fields, many of which are financial figures with high levels of distinct values). The performance in charts etc is generally OK (I've used all best practice for the model and expressions, although I'm going to try replacing some of the set analysis for flags) - my problem is the Excel export.

My user-base are primarily accountants. It'll take time to shift the culture to realise they can do most things in QV and don't need to use Excel so much, so in the meantime I need to provide decent export functionality. My issue is I just don't understand why the Excel export is performing so shockingly slowly. I may have 200m rows of data, but if my chart only has 10k rows and maybe 10 columns, it still takes around 10-15 minutes to export the chart.

I am using v11 SR2 and the issue is there whether I export from the desktop client or the web client.

Am I missing something? It almost feels like QV is calcaulating the chart for the full number of possible rows and expressions, before deciding to only export 10k of the rows. (The chart has over 50 expressions, but they are conditionally enabled/disabled and this issue is seen with only 5 of them enabled.)

I've tried using various macros instead of the XL button on the cpation bar to no avail,

Has anyone else had this issue and have you resolved it!?

Thanks,

Jason

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

All,

I am delighted to report that QlikTech have a customer patch for this recognised bug in v11 and for us it completely resolved the issue.

Unbelievable that a major new v11 feature (conditional expressions) can be so buggy and even more so that by SR2 it still is not fixed properly (it is supposedly improved in SR2 but I saw no real improvement).

So, if you are having issues with performance when using conditional expressions in tables (straight and pivot), locking scroll-bars on the same charts, and extremely slow export to Excel, then this patch may be the answer for you.

Ask QT support for build 11.0.11419.0

Hope this saves you some of the crazy amounts of time I've wasted on this.

Jason

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Not applicable

Thanks for posting this problem, I am having the same issue. The functionality of conditional dimensions and expressions is great and our clients need it for their reports but exports or  copy of full table data is impossibly slow - I am attemting to revert back to macros and other techniques for the functionality of adding selected expressions (and/or dimensions).

Please inform us if there is progress on this point.

Thank you.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

I have raised a ticket with QlikTech. I received a call yeaterday about it but was unable to take it - will get an update hopefully today.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

All,

I am delighted to report that QlikTech have a customer patch for this recognised bug in v11 and for us it completely resolved the issue.

Unbelievable that a major new v11 feature (conditional expressions) can be so buggy and even more so that by SR2 it still is not fixed properly (it is supposedly improved in SR2 but I saw no real improvement).

So, if you are having issues with performance when using conditional expressions in tables (straight and pivot), locking scroll-bars on the same charts, and extremely slow export to Excel, then this patch may be the answer for you.

Ask QT support for build 11.0.11419.0

Hope this saves you some of the crazy amounts of time I've wasted on this.

Jason

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

I should just mention I haven't finished thorough testing and being a customer patch it is not warranted like a formal release...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jason,

Thank you for the news.

I just got the patches, and was trying to update my QV Desktop, but simple double-click on the msp file didn't work.  Could you please tell how to apply the patches?

Thanks,

Michael

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

The .msp file worked fine for me, Michael. I updated the x64 version - are you using 64-bit or 32-bit? I haven't tried the 32-bit.

Jason

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is 64.  My current version is 64 as well, QV11 SR2

When I dbl-clik to apply, getting a message from Wndows installer "The upgrade patch cannot be installed ..."

Tried command line, same result.

OK, I have a theory, will try...

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni
Author

I was upgrading from SR2 – you probably have to have that installed first.

EDIT: Sorry - misread yor post! You already have that running...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Figured out.

I have multiple versions of QV installed.  If install QV11, it removes QV10, so hadto re-install 10 after 11.  That's why the patch didn't work.  So, I uninstalled 10, re-installed 11, and ran the patch.

Thank you,

Michael