Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Filter a table based on clicking a *SECTION* of a stacked bar chart?

Hello,

I have a stacked bar chart, it has three bars with 5 segments each.

The bars represent brands and the sections represent which sales tier the sellers of those brands fall into.

Below the chart I have a table with details about the accounts, including their tiers, brand, sales, goals, etc, etc.

I would like to be able to filter the table by clicking on the bars. This works for filtering down to a single column (brand) but then I cannot click a SECTION of that bar to filter down to a tier.

Is this possible? Let me know if you need more information for clarity; however I cannot provide details or screenshots for confidentiality reasons.

Thank you,

Stephan

5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If the segments of the stacked are values of the second dimension the you should be able to drill down to the segment: All bars -> Single bar -> Bar segment. But if the different segments represent the results of different expressions (i.e you have more than one expression in your chart) then you can't drill down to the bar segment. You can only select dimension values, not expressions. Drilling down to an expression would require disabling the other expressions. And there's no click-event that can be intercepted to trigger that.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Aren't the demensions used to determine what the bars themselves represent (in my case, the brands) where as the expressions populate the actual values?

Is there a way that I could turn my expressions into dimensions and still have the same end result..?

My expressions are counting accounts based on an if statement which checks which tier they fall into..

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Aren't the demensions used to determine what the bars themselves represent (in my case, the brands) where as the expressions populate the actual values?

Yes, so if you have two expressions and one selected dimension value (after clicking the bar) then both expressions represent a result for that dimension value. There's no further drill down possible anymore. If you have more than one expression in your stacked bar chart then the segments represent the results from the expressions. Those segments cannot be selected.

Converting your expressions to a calculated dimensions won't help. The bar chart can't handle more than three dimensions very well.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Ugh, that's very unfortunate to hear.

I was amazed at all the things QlikView could do that Spotfire could not when I first switched, now I am starting to run into the things that I took forgranted in Spotfire and don't work here lol.

Oh well, every tool will have it's pros and cons!

Thank you.

rodri_morales
Creator II
Creator II

I have 3 expresions but I don't have dimension, cause the expresion count how many bills are on a state (I have 3 state).. and I want to filter when I click on a bar, it is posible?