Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Friendly field names in current selections

Would like to use the current selections object, but want to have friendly field names for the users to see. See attached screen shot. I have a multi box with several fields including "RollupWeekDay" which I have a label of "Day of Week" defined. In the current selections object I would like to also use the field label of "Day of Week". error loading image

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Jims,

The easiest way to accomplish this is to change the field name in the load script:

LOAD:
RollupWeekDay AS "Day of Week"

Let us know if this does the trick.

Not applicable
Author

I may not be able to change the name of the field using the load option because of some other internal requirements.

Is there any way to use one of the UI objects to create something that could list the current selections with a friendly user name?

Not applicable
Author

Hi

I have the same requirement, I have field names that are identified specifically to make development easier (they have prefix characters for identification) so I cannot change field names, but would like to use labels in the current selections. It is not possible to do this in any version up to & including V9 SR5.

It's possible that this may change with Version 10 when more emphasis has been placed on metadata, maybe this version will allow you to set up labels for fields in one place which would make more sense. At the moment we have to label a field in every area we use it, I'm assuming from Jason's response that QlikTech simply assume that fields will be named appropriately on load, but in our case this won't happen and for very good reasons.

Not applicable
Author

Could you use 'Alias' in the script so that you dont need to worry about renaming the fields in the LOADs?

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gordon

I don't think (think being the operative word, I can't be sure) that the alias will work for me, the main reason for using prefixed field names are for development of objects, we have hundreds of fields in our applications so when we develop new objects it's easier to find the relevant fields we need for that object because they are in the correct order in the list according to the prefix.

Looking at the alias function, it looks as though it does do a rename at some point.

I think what I'm looking for is for me to be able to globally set a label for each field, and that I can use that label in all objects.

Regards,

Not applicable
Author

Agree with Nigel.. need a label for certain fields just like you can do in charts with dimensions and expressions. Need to show current selections that match the name we have used in the dimension or expression.

tduarte
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi all,

I've been renaming the fields in the script so far but as Gordon said before that will spoil your field name convention.

The option to have a global label for a given field would do the trick.

Has anyone got any new ideas regarding this? QV10 maybe?

Regards,

Telmo