Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

General question on data loading by Qlik

Hi,

We have developed around 5 dashboards.  Each dashboard has it's own data model now.  There is a suggestion to have a single qvd that will cater to all the dashboards.  That single qvd will have -

1. More than 150 columns

2. 700k records

3. Will be the result of joining around 10 critical tables in the database

4. Would take a long time (> 45 min)  to refresh.

The idea behind this suggestion is -

1. We can one centralized data/qvd which can be used as a source for all the dashboards

2. This will eliminate some duplicate fields being drawn into the dashboards.  Ex: Dahboard1 and Dashboard2 both might bring in a Column A.  So, if it's done through a single qvd, this duplication can be avoided.

Personally, I feel, this approach will add more complexity in terms of maintainability.  Also, there are not many columns that are common among the dashboards.  It will be less than 10 columns that are common across and so, I think, keeping individual data model for each qlikview is probably the best.

Please suggest.

12 Replies
marcus_sommer

In my opinien that's not a good idea. Recommended are data-architectures which goes in the direction of 3-tier architecture. The main-point here is to create a division of work which is easier to handle, on which could several people work on the same time and where tasks could run parallel. These concepts are very common and are not restricted to qlikview else to all kinds of IT business.

More advanced topics of qlik datamodels

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Marcus!  Could you please elaborate on how 3-tier architecture applies here?

Thanks,

Sudha.

marcus_sommer

Not really better then it is explained within the links from the above mentioned link. I suggest to take some time and read carefully and think even more carefully about your reading and understanding and how it could be adjusted to your concrete environment and requirements. It's not a matter of a few hours of time then on this will be base your future work of the next years.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Sure.  Thank you!

HirisH_V7
Master
Master

Hi,

This may help you,

Merging Data from Multiple Sources

Get started with developing qlik datamodels

-Hirish

HirisH
“Aspire to Inspire before we Expire!”
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Hirish.

syukyo_zhu
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

You can also create severals qvd and  create an application qvw used for datamodel which take all of qvds.

Then, you can use Binary to charge the datas from this application datamodel.

I think that is easier to apply rather than a single qvd.

hope helpful

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I would think about having a seperate QVD generator for each of your 10 database tables.  If any of the tables are large transactional tables then you could consider incremental loads for them.

So you would now have 10 QVD's.  These could be loaded into your Dashboard qvw's directly with optimized QVD loads.

Not applicable
Author

Should we necessarily use a QVD for a dashboard?.  Right now, I have 5 QVWs/dashboards and each one has it's own data model with 3-4 tables.  Can we leave them as is or should I think about having QVDs for each dashboard?