Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
splitcore
Contributor III
Contributor III

Generate a report post SERVER reload...

Hi guys.

I am aware of the shortcoming that qlikview server does not trigger post reload macros. I know this is due to the fact that the reload does not actually calculate or load any of the sheet objects etc which makes sense in most cases I guess...

So my question then:

How to get a post reload report generated on qlikview server WITHOUT having to open up the qvw again with Nprinting... I have a lot of reports I want to generate from different qvw's so it would greatly increase my overall reload time if the report gen time is added...

I'd prefer it if I could choose how to reload a document with the server. Example the usual server way for non-report documents and the normal way that would still load objects and fire macros. I know it would take longer but not as long as having to reload with server and then have another scheduled Nprinting report open the document AGAIN to generate the report. If my reloads start at 00:00 the reports would probably only finish at around 09:00 in the morning which is too late... Worst part is I only need 2 or 3 small tables from each document... But just opening those large documents is what chows the server resources and time...

I am still relatively new to QlikView and Nprinting so forgive me if I am missing something obvious

Kind Regards

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Any reason you can't create new smaller documents specifically for the few reports you need?

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
splitcore
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Gysbert.

The "smaller" documents won't be that much smaller. These documents are our detailed transaction data etc and for them to accumulate correctly they need all the data which is about 90% of the total size if not more.

We do not currently have an Nprinting server, however I was thinking of setting up a schedule to reload and generate reports for those that reports are needed for with Nprinting and the rest can just be reloaded with the QlikView server. I haven't tested this yet though... The reports themselves are very small and should take about 5 mins per report.. So in theory this way should go a lot faster than having to re-open a document to generate the report.

I'd still like to hear from you guys though. Do you agree or would you suggest another route perhaps?

Regards

marcus_sommer

I think you will always have to reopen the documents to create your reports. If your system-resources are nearly exhausted then you should consider to change your tasks-chain (some tasks might be able to run parallel) and/or optimize your documents or to extend your system-resources.

- Marcus

splitcore
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Marcus

What if I schedule a reload task in NPrinting without closing the connection afterwards,followed by the report task? This way the document will only be opened once. I would then obviously take the document out of the QlikView server reload chain completely and only have it reload via NPrinting.

I would have preferred it if there was an option in QlikView server to accomplish this but it seems less and less likely...

I am still hopeful that there's a solution out there. Perhaps with an update one of these days hint hint**