Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VisualUK
Contributor II
Contributor II

Grouped Bar chart Month by Month

hi All (newbie here), 

I am  trying to show a grouped bar chart comparing ticket numbers monthly for the pats 3 years (2018, 19 and 20).

So Far, I have only managed to show all the months but Year after year - Meaning:

Jan... Dec 2018, Jan...Dec 2019, Jan... June 2020

My dimension is: date(Monthname([CAT.Created]),'MMM')

My Expression is: Count({1<CAT_Ticket_ID>}CAT_Ticket_ID) - cannot be impacted by other user's selections

Dimension sort added is: num(month(CAT.Created)) + year(CAT.Created)/100000

I am getting the following bar chart. 

- Jan, Feb, Mar    (2018) || Jan, Feb, Mar, ... (2019) || Jan, Feb, Mar.... (2020)

What i would like seeing is: 

- Jan '18, Jan '19, Jan'20 || Feb'18, Feb'19, Feb '20... and so on

any help highly appreciated... 

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
VisualUK
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi @Anonymous , I wasn't sure what you meant by adding 1 dimension as a group and 1 as a bar. 

However, this is what I did and it works now. 

I changed my two dimensions for month and Year FROM: 

=date(monthname([cat.created]))

=date(yearname([cat.created])

TO:

CreatedYear

CreatedMonth

(in the data load script I added: Month ([cat.created]) AS CreatedMonth, Year ([cat.created]) AS CreatedYear

And the expression didn't change: [Cat.Tickets]

The graph works now 😉

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Taoufiq_Zarra

Hi,

Have you tested =date([CAT.Created],'MMMYY')  in stead of date(Monthname([CAT.Created]),'MMM') ?

Regards,
Taoufiq ZARRA

"Please LIKE posts and "Accept as Solution" if the provided solution is helpful "

(you can mark up to 3 "solutions") 😉
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its depend on how you wanna display data, if you go with granular level Drill down chart, if you wanna display for all months for each year need to create clear dimension values like Jan-18,Jan-19,Jan-20.

If you would like to show overall month dimension then they can have Year filter on it, So try to understand the difference and tool limitation over it. 

VisualUK
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi @Taoufiq_Zarra, I havent tested that combination, I will try and let you know. Thanks

VisualUK
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi @Anonymous , Thanks for your reply. To clarify I would like to display the data for all months for each year.

Does that mean I need to create dimension values like Jan-18,Jan-19,Jan-20? 

I saw another post (for Qlik Sense) where this coding was not necessary and they were simply sorting the dimension. Please see this link for reference:  https://community.qlik.com/t5/New-to-Qlik-Sense/Group-Bar-Chart-Month-wise/td-p/1575698

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi if you looking for below chart then follow below steps.

Group chart.png

Step  1: Add two dimensions year and month in the dimensions. Month in group and Year as Bar

Step 2: Add your Expressions.

Step 3: Goto Apperance --> Colors and legend --> show legend OFF

Step 4: Done

Thanks

Pavan Nallani 🙂

VisualUK
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi @Anonymous , I wasn't sure what you meant by adding 1 dimension as a group and 1 as a bar. 

However, this is what I did and it works now. 

I changed my two dimensions for month and Year FROM: 

=date(monthname([cat.created]))

=date(yearname([cat.created])

TO:

CreatedYear

CreatedMonth

(in the data load script I added: Month ([cat.created]) AS CreatedMonth, Year ([cat.created]) AS CreatedYear

And the expression didn't change: [Cat.Tickets]

The graph works now 😉