Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Have they fixed pivot table sorting in QV11?

The list of new features for QV11 hasn't really knocked my socks off; what I've found seems to be mostly marketing buzzwords.  I can think of one thing which would make it worthwhile, though: have they fixed sorting in pivot tables in QV11?  Can those of you who've made the switch relate your experience on this outstanding bug?

In my case, at the moment, I'm looking at a column supposedly sorted by Y-value, descending.  It starts with the third-highest value, then the second, then the first, then one from way down the list, then a few from the middle... it's not quite random, but it certainly isn't sorted.  There are several related questions in the forum, unanswered, mostly ending with "try a straight table".

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

As you mentioned the sorting in Pivot Tables is not completely random, but is only calculated once for the whole table. After that, this order is used in all "undersegments" then. The only other option is mentioned by John Witherspoon somewhere: You can use the dual function in the load script and assigning each text value a unique number value (ie.with the autonumber function). It worked for me, but the dual function can lead to nasty side effect.

To QlikView: I'd also like to see a fix of this very soon.

Or
MVP
MVP

I have not seen any change in behavior regarding pivot table sorting in QV11 (though I didn't really test it in-depth, either). I have to say, though, that we clearly have very different priorities - I don't care about the sorting issue that much, and at least two of the new features (alt-states, expression/dimension conditions) are absolutely worth upgrading for, in my book.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, I guess that answers my question.  Frustrating!

Hmm, that Dual() trick sounds familiar.  Unfortunately I'm building a tool set for a broad set of users, so I'd need to do this for every field to cover any possible use of the data.  And of course it wouldn't apply to sorting by Y-value, unless I misunderstand you.