cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christian_Lauritzen
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Help on labels

I have ran into two challenges that I need help to solve. These challenges are quite tricky, and I am not even sure that the first challenge with calculated labels even can be solved. Still, I often get surprised when the gurus of this community engage their brains!

The attached chart shows a country's ranking in terms of number of medals won in the winter olympics compared to all countries that won medals for a specific year.

CountryRank2.png

Challenges:

1. To replace the number at the end of the bars with the Label from the temporary table. Ie, for 2008, it should say '7/86' instead of only 86 (which equals to total number of countries that earned medals that year). I am not certain solving this is possible.

2. To display a longer green segment for shared ranking.

The green segment is now only correct when the rank is not shared. For instance, for 1996 the left grey segment should be 19 (19 nations were better), the green should be 3 units wide (3 countries shared position 20) and the rightmost grey segment should only be 57 (57 countries had a lower rank). This is especially relevant if a sport is selected, because the ranking is often shared. This is certainly possible to solve, even though I have not managed to.

Most curious of the results, and your help is warmly appreciated!

Good luck!

Email: christian.lauritzen@b3.se
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Nicole-Smith

The attached should solve #2 as well.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Nicole-Smith

Hi Christian,

I've solved the label issue.  I'll look into #2 later.

Christian_Lauritzen
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Very, very clever! A second expression to show data points. Neat!

Thanks!

Nicole-Smith

The attached should solve #2 as well.

Christian_Lauritzen
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

Nicole - You rock!

Now, for all of you who have not downloaded this qvw yet, it contains a very useful graph that is excellent to for displaying ranking. It also displays the size of the total group, which is often very relevant. Number two in a group of 20 is more impressive than number two in a group of 2. With Nicole's latest addition, you can also graphically see how many contestants share a rank. In this case, the graph is applied on data from the summer Olympics.

Again Nicole, thanks for brilliant solution!

/Christian

Christian_Lauritzen
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II
Author

This is the graphs will look after the fixes. Could be quite useful in a lot of situations, e.g. viewing sales of brands or products over time. The full qvd is attached below.

Olympics - new.png