Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wnorwood
Contributor III
Contributor III

How many columns can a table have?

Hello,

I am trying to create a table that has 68 columns.  It will create the table if I comment one out and reload.  But, it won't create it will all 68.  Is there a limit to then number of rows that a table can have?  Is there some setting somewhere for this?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

It could it be that qlikview is trying to make syntetic keys? It happened to me once, that I forgot to drop a table and qlikview tried to make a synthetic key made of more than 40 columns, this can take forever.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
goldnejea8
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Are you trying to create a table in your load script, or in the user interface?  Are you trying to load data from a source system, or create your own?

In the load script, the only limit to the table size is the amount of data you have.  If you have 100 columns in your source data, it will create 100 columns in the table in QlikView.

wnorwood
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

It is in the LOAD script.  I build a temporary table then the final step is to LOAD the temporary table into a final table.  It is weird because I can comment out any of the 68 columns and it builds the table fine. But, it won't build it with 68.  So, this tells me that there is no particular issue with any individual column name or data within the columns. After thinking about it a little more, the table column limit can't really be an issue given that the temporary table has the same 68.  Not sure what's going on.  Pretty sure it's "user error", just can't seem to track it down.  Luckily there are a couple of columns that are not critical, so I commented them out and was able to proceed. But, I would sure like to understand what's going on. Thanks.

john_duffy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hello.

Can you post a snapshot of the load script log showing the error.

Thanks,

John.

Not applicable

It could it be that qlikview is trying to make syntetic keys? It happened to me once, that I forgot to drop a table and qlikview tried to make a synthetic key made of more than 40 columns, this can take forever.

wnorwood
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks!  That was exactly the problem.  I renamed the columns on the temp table and then renamed them back when I created the final table.  Works perferctly!  Thanks again!