Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How much data can QlikView handle?

Guys,

We are conducting a vendor review and comparing Tableau, QlikView, Spotfire and Xcelsius.
How much data can Qlikview handle? From QlikView's manual, there is no limit on the amount of data except that it is limited by the database QlikView is connecting to. But, from your experience, how much in GB, can QlikView handle with a given Server size.

Also, Please point me to any resources that have some data on the comparison of these 4 tools.

Thanks,
Atlas.

22 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Atlas

Ii joind  this community couple of months before....and saw you query on the data compression data volumes handiing on the application level....one thing i wanted to throw my thoughts on the same..you are comparing Qlikview Vs tableau Vs Spotfile Vs Xcelsius..lets take xcelsius first which was my favoorite ....

Xcelsius:- it is a just dashbaord tool which uses excel as source for processing the data in it..whenver you run the dashbaord, the data has to pass thru excel..i spent so many years and i've developed 1000 + dashbards by using xcelsius and different with connectors...interms of data processing it depends what exacty you are showing .

xcelsius is meant for highly aggreagted number you cannot take beyond that...if you have highly aggregated numbers then go for xcelsus,

but with xcelsius  you cannot fill your requirement it needs BO or any Other OLAP connectors to connect it.......LOOK AND FEEL (user interface ) is amazing afcourse it uses flash lah.....

Qlikview:-Qlikview is a different tool it uses its RAM to process the data and compress 90 % of your original table having said that it all depends on data quality(Duplicates/Joins..etc)...the good thing about the tool is much faster if your comparing with xcelsius....one more good thing about is, you dont need data wareshouse at all it uses QVD as data source and stores all the data in it,

whenver you generate QVW the QVW triggers the QVD to process the same data.....

Cost wise and processing wsie go with qlikview.....if you have anything BIG in you mind like different reporting flavours like CANNED,ADHOC, DASHBAORDS, Drag and drop concepts for user then go for SAP BO, or Tableau

i dont know much about tabluau much but look and feel wise is damm good

good thing about tableau is, it will suggest  the graphs based on you dimension, metrics selection...because most of the BI users want look and Feel and and some really Inteligence(Suggestions) in the Tool....

The above comments are purly based on my experince .......I'am implemntating complete End to End implementation on qlikview..will update on the same if you have any queries.....and please avoid any typo/grammatical mistakes..

Regards

Imran Khan

mahindrasatyanm

BI Arch

Not applicable
Author

Hi Atlas

Ii joind  this community couple of months before....and saw you query on the data compression data volumes handiing on the application level....one thing i wanted to throw my thoughts on the same..you are comparing Qlikview Vs tableau Vs Spotfile Vs Xcelsius..lets take xcelsius first which was my favoorite ....

Xcelsius:- it is a just dashbaord tool which uses excel as source for processing the data in it..whenver you run the dashbaord, the data has to pass thru excel..i spent so many years and i've developed 1000 + dashbards by using xcelsius and different with connectors...interms of data processing it depends what exacty you are showing .

xcelsius is meant for highly aggreagted number you cannot take beyond that...if you have highly aggregated numbers then go for xcelsus,

but with xcelsius  you cannot fill your requirement it needs BO or any Other OLAP connectors to connect it.......LOOK AND FEEL (user interface ) is amazing afcourse it uses flash lah.....

Qlikview:-Qlikview is a different tool it uses its RAM to process the data and compress 90 % of your original table having said that it all depends on data quality(Duplicates/Joins..etc)...the good thing about the tool is much faster if your comparing with xcelsius....one more good thing about is, you dont need data wareshouse at all it uses QVD as data source and stores all the data in it,

whenver you generate QVW the QVW triggers the QVD to process the same data.....interms of data handeling it supports tb's  of data but you need proper infra setup for the same....

Cost wise and processing wsie go with qlikview.....if you have anything BIG in you mind like different reporting flavours like CANNED,ADHOC, DASHBAORDS, Drag and drop concepts for user then go for SAP BO, or Tableau

i dont know much about tabluau much but look and feel wise is damm good

good thing about tableau is, it will suggest  the graphs based on you dimension, metrics selection...because most of the BI users want look and Feel and and some really Inteligence(Suggestions) in the Tool....

The above comments are purly based on my experince .......I'am implemntating complete End to End implementation on qlikview..will update on the same if you have any queries.....and please avoid any typo/grammatical mistakes..

Regards

Imran Khan

mahindrasatyanm

BI Arch

VishalSingh18
Contributor III
Contributor III

• My data set was 1000k and all the script was loading properly but when it reached 4000k+ at every reload it throws a error of "unexpected end of data"
  • I searched community but no solution worked then I order to reduce the data I have to group in SQL server