cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
achates2008
Contributor III
Contributor III

How to categorize expressions?

I have various expressions in the pivot table which are calculated on different time base, therefore I want to categorize them for more readable. It will looks like below. Is it possible to achieve? Thanks!

current monthYTD
actualforecastactualforecast
a1095045
b12156070
c14145560
6 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

therefore I want to categorize them for more readable.

What does that mean? Categorize what in which way? What are the categories?

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe just create another dimension, using a stand-alone table in your data model or a synthetic dimension using ValueList('current','YTD'), then check this dimension's current value in your expression and branch into current / YTD evaluation:

=If( ValueList('current','YTD') = 'current',

YouCurrentExpressions,

YourYTDExpressions

)

achates2008
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Gysbert,

Normally the label of expression will be like current actual, YTD actual, current forecast, YTD forecast, etc. If I can categorize them as the header of the example, it will be clearer for user, right? Or do you have any other suggestion?

achates2008
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Stefan,

It is not about synthetic dimension. Dimension should be fixed, just the expressions should be put into different category as my example, like what we will do in Excel. You may refer to my reply to Gysbert. Or if you can provide an example it will be better, if my understanding is not accurate.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

A chart doesn't have Categories, only Dimensions and Expressions. Therefore if you want to create categories you need to create a dimension. A synthetic dimension like swuehl posted above will do the trick.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
achates2008
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

ok, I will try . Thank you all for the help!