Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to design Star Schema Design for my Data Model

Hi All,

Many of them recommended me to do Star Schema Design for my data model. Due to lack of experience in that and due to the insufficient experience in data model of the current project I am not able to initiate Star Schema design.

Can any one please help me out to initiate. I have attached the document which I am working. Hope that is good enough to work with.

24 Replies
suniljain
Master
Master

In your case I am suggesting that you have to use snake flow instead of star schema.

because star schema not suit with whatever data available in your application.

Not applicable
Author

Sunil Jain wrote:
In your case I am suggesting that you have to use snake flow instead of star schema.
because star schema not suit with whatever data available in your application. <div></div>

But as per the information given about Snake Flow it also has only one fact table. But whereas in my case there are 4 fact tables. Let me know what can be done for this or else if time permits please work on it and design my data model as snow flake. Just because I never designed any data model till now.

Please do reply...

suniljain
Master
Master

Rikab,

pls send me sample data of your apllication with limited record and send me on my person email Id that you have.

I will send you data modeled application.

Not applicable
Author

As requested have mailed you documents for you to work with...

suniljain
Master
Master

I will send you modelled application up to sunday evening .

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunil,

Thanks for your help. Requesting you to update me progress of work i,e which document you have chosen from the 2 document which I have attached and which model you are planning to design(Star or Snow). Just reply for my mail it will be easy for me to understand what exactly going on!

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunil,

Before you start working on in my document requested you to look in to the below post as well just to get some knowledge on what exactly happening in my case.

http://community.qlik.com/forums/t/33448.aspx?PageIndex=2

sunil2288
Creator III
Creator III

HI Rikab

I studied your datastructure.

You don't worry to make Datamodel as it may be star schema or snow flake both of these are too easy to understand

in Star schema you can have only one fact table. and all the dimension table are connected to the fact table...

but in snow flake there are multiple fact tables and the dimension table are connected to multiple fact tables..

Let me know how far you are known to make fact tables..

Regards,

Sunil

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunil Panda,

Many thanks for your explanation. I don't even know what is fact table and how to make that. Could you please design the same for me using the attached document. I also don't know how to design like star schema and snow flake. Hope you could help me out!

sunil2288
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Rikab,

There are always two type of data in a database.

1>The data which is constant like.Dimension Tables(Customer_Table,Product_Table...Etc)

2>The varied tables like all type of transactions (Daily_sales_Reports,Daily_Transaction_Maintainance)

Sometimes what happened client has its (Transaction data) in different tables...

At that time we need to make a Fact table by joining or concatenating or using any other method to the Transaction tables..

Hence like this we can make a particular structure to design a DataModel..

Now you need to decide how to categorize...

Hope it will help you to make an idea of Fact Tables..

Regards

Sunil...