Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hansdevr
Creator III
Creator III

How to do fixed selection based on user ID

Where I work, QV access is organised through Windows logins and map access. Which means that some users have access to some maps and others don't.

Now I need to build a dashboard that is accessible to everyone, but only shows budgets which are the responsibility of the respective users.

I thought of building an inline map of user ID's and a password. Everyone gets an ID and password and must enter these when starting the dashboard. Then I want to make a fixed, unchangeable selection of budgets for each budget holder that logs in.

In my QVD I have a field called 'Kostenplaats' (budget). So I want to create a pulldown that shows the fixed selection for a certain user ID. How should I go about making this work? I have around 12 users; I don't want to make a separate dashboard for each person....

Any help solving this would be more than welcome!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rubenmarin

Hi Hans, I think the best approach is using section access:Section Access

Based on the user it can apply a restriction when opening the document so each user only has available his data, so there is nothing the user can deselect, simply is like the data doesn't exist for them.

Based on the conditions to select user data creating the section access can be more or less complicated, if it's a fixed value for each user it should be easy.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
rubenmarin

Hi Hans, I think the best approach is using section access:Section Access

Based on the user it can apply a restriction when opening the document so each user only has available his data, so there is nothing the user can deselect, simply is like the data doesn't exist for them.

Based on the conditions to select user data creating the section access can be more or less complicated, if it's a fixed value for each user it should be easy.

hansdevr
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I am certainly going to look at Section Access, thanks for that!

Problem I am facing that users have combinations of budgets, some have only 2 or 3, some all 38..

Can this be solved through Section Access?

rubenmarin

Yes, it can be done, for the 2 or 3 options you can add several records for the same user ID, each one given access to a different budget.

For the 'all' there is the same option of loaded 38 records for each user or using the '*' character wich assigns all the values for that field loaded in section access, this is kind of tricky because '*' doesn't means the usual 'all values', it's all the values previously loaded.

I usually do a inline record for me as admin doing a join with a table that loads all different values for a field (without a common field it creates all possible combinations), so I assure all values are loaded in sections access before using '*' for the users.

hansdevr
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks very much Ruben, this sounds exactly like what I need to solve this!

I will dive into those links! I'll let you know if I managed to solve my problem!

hansdevr
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Ruben, thank you!! It works like a charm!!

Not applicable

Ruben Marin - Perfect.

Thanks