Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to do performance testing in QV

Hi,

can someone point me to reliable method of doing performance testing in QV?

For example, if you want to see which expression or calculation is faster, how would you make this decision?

So far, I learned:

1) calculation time in Sheet object properties are often show 0 because of QV cache. Some people say you need to do reload / reopen a document to reset a cache, but for me it did not always work. I also tried cache working set option in document properties and setting it to 0 - that did not make any affect at all. So how to do a clean test and measure calculation time with no caching?

2) even if calculation time is not 0, I am learning the hard way that it is actually includes waiting time for other objects to complete. So if you have 2 charts, calculation time for the second chart (sometimes) will include waiting time for the first one.

So looking for some best practices / guidance on how to get pure calculation times for objects.

17 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

thanks for your responses, Piyush, but i was looking more into calculation time of expressions / objects vs. the load script.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

This content is not publicly available so please refrain uploading files unless you are certain of their public convenience. Rather, point to the link where the document is, so the user can get the most recent issue and download it.

Miguel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel, thanks for your great book BTW! any way you can shed some light and give some generic pointers on my question above? I was looking at the forum and books and while there are tons of recommendations and best practices, there are little or no information how to actually benchmark and validate performance of calculations. The QV cache makes it difficult to do real benchmarks and it would be great to hear from pros like you or HIC.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Borys,

You are speaking about Miguel García author of QlikView 11 for Developers - QlikView Book.

There is a group in QlikCommunity dedicated to Scalability, you can check it here. There you will find how to test, Scalability Center best practices and tools and how-tos.

Miguel

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

oh I am sorry, Miguel. thanks, I missed that group - i see wealth of information there.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Just go through qlikview optimizer.qvw. just type on google and you wil get it. there you can analyse lots of things like size and time required for each objects, charts, counts of rows etc. its a very nice document for performance testing.

Reagrds,

Piyush jain.

ajaysikharam
Contributor III
Contributor III

I don't see any document here, @Anonymous  can you share that to me here.

Thx