Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to get 'tool tips' in pie chart etc.

Hi,

I'm trying to get a 'tool tip' displayed from the legend of a pie chart.

We're using QlikView.

Let me explain in more detail.

In our application, we have a field "GroupName" which will contain character data of varying lengths, typically 10-30 characters long.

In some places "GroupName" is displayed in a list box and is used as a selection criteria by the user. The list box is sized so that only the first 15 characters are visible. This works well for most values, and any that are longer are displayed with a "..." at the end. When the user hovers their mouse over a longer value a 'tool tip' window is displayed to show the entire value.

In some places "GroupName" is used as the dimension in a pie chart. We're showing the legend and the "GroupName" values get displayed in the legend.  We have limited the length of the displayed value to 15 characters so that the actual 'pie' does not get too small. Again this works for most values of "GroupName". For longer values they are again shown with a "..." at the end, but when the user hovers their mouse over the value there is no 'tool tip' displayed. The user cannot see the entire value.

The only way that I can find for the user to see th e whole value is if they hold their mouse over the relevant section of the pie, at which point the 'tool tip' is displayed.

I have looked at all the options (that are obvious to me) but cannot find one which will cause a 'tool tip' to be displayed for values listed in the legend of a pie chart. is there one?

Cheers,

Dave

6 Replies
vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

I am not sure if we have any straight forward option for this. Or a Macro for this. May be uncheck the legend and use your listbox without caption and layout borders and put it on top of your pie chart. I am not sure, if that works but just a thought.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thanks for that - at least I'm not missing anything!

Cheers,

Dave

avinashelite

Your looking for the help text like that ? if that is the case then go to chart properties >Caption > to the bottom right you will have the option for help text

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Thanks for the thought but I don't think that is going to help me.

Doing this adds the '?' help icon to the chart and only shows the same text, regardless of which part of the chart the user's mouse is over.

What I need is for the user to see the full value of the legend items (from column "GroupName" as described above).

Cheers,

Dave

avinashelite

Doing this adds the '?' help icon to the chart and only shows the same text, regardless of which part of the chart the user's mouse is over.

Yes your right ..

Have you checked the Pop-up Lables option in the Presentation tab of the chart properties what will display the dimension name, expression values

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Yes we already have those. As you say they show the dimension values... until the proportion of values assigned to a particular dimension value (i.e. a value in my "GroupName" field) is too small such that the slice of the pie is not really visible.

At that point the only way to easily see the value is by mousing over the legend itself - and that is where this topic started.

Thanks for the idea though.

Cheers,

Dave