Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JSamuel_MHV
Contributor
Contributor

How to pass a function to a custom variable

I've created a custom variable that accepts a date parameter and returns a value. It works as expected when a date is passed through to the function, but doesn't work when a function is passed through.

For example, my custom variable VDate_Calc is defined as: monthname($1). Passing today's date to the variable like so: =$(vDate_Calc(Today())) returns Apr 2020 as expected. However, I receive an error when I try passing a function through to the variable like so: =$(vDate_Calc(AddMonths(Today(),1)))

The error message reads "Error: Error in expression: AddMonths takes 2-3 parameters". However AddMonths(Today(),1) returns the correct value 24/05/2020.

Any suggestions on how to fix this error?

Thanks!

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

The comma from the function will be interpreted as a parameter-delimiter to the variable and therefore it failed. This means you need to ensure that the function is calculated within the variable or you need a different approach. To the first you could try something like this:

$(vDate_Calc($(=AddMonths(Today(),1))))

- Marcus

JSamuel_MHV
Contributor
Contributor
Author

This approach doesn't raise an error, but it returns an incorrect value = Dec 1899. Looks like the AddMonths function doesn't work properly when nested within a custom variable?

marcus_sommer

My suggestion should work within the UI - within the script the feature of creating an adhoc variable with $(= …) isn't available. In general is the approach to nest variables especially if they should contain functions difficult and the efforts to get the various syntax-requirements working much bigger as keeping the logics more simple.

- Marcus