Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to reference & use one chart expression in another expression of same chart?

Hi:

Can I ask as what's the right way to use one chart expression in defining another chart expression. What are the best practices around it and pitfalls?

Thanks,
Exan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

One way to use expression in another chart expression is to create a variable,

For Ex if you have calculated Total Sales and you want that same expression in another chart so instead of using same expression in another chart use the variable name.

Pitfall is that if you have created a variable For ex if yo have created a variable for Total Sales and if you have made changes in variable and if yo use that variable in second chart so it will affect the both charts as the changes has been done in the variable.

PFA

Regards

Ritesh

View solution in original post

6 Replies
qlikviewwizard
Master II
Master II

1. Copy and Paste

2. Keep all the expressions in a text file and load into target QVW.

I think these two are the ways. I prefer second point.

All the best.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

One way to use expression in another chart expression is to create a variable,

For Ex if you have calculated Total Sales and you want that same expression in another chart so instead of using same expression in another chart use the variable name.

Pitfall is that if you have created a variable For ex if yo have created a variable for Total Sales and if you have made changes in variable and if yo use that variable in second chart so it will affect the both charts as the changes has been done in the variable.

PFA

Regards

Ritesh

balabhaskarqlik

1. Copy & paste expression to use in another expression.

2. Create Expression1, Expression2, use these two expression values in 3rd expression as:

Column(1)-Column(2).

Column(1)/Column(2).

You can use previous expression values into another expression by specification of that expression number by Column().

menta
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Set the expression into a variable and use the variable where you need.

If you need to change the formulas you only change the variable

big_dreams
Creator III
Creator III

Since I am new with qlik products, can you assist me by sharing a small app on 2nd solution.

It will help me alot.

Can we use same way in qliksense also???

Regards,

balabhaskarqlik

Create one small application with sample data, create some charts in it.

Those expressions will be stored/displayed from : Settings - Expression Overview - Export.

Then all the expressions of the application will be saved into text file.

Load this text file into another application or use these expressions into another objects.