Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to sort x-axis dimension according to a string?

Hi,

I have created a bar chart with the product name as the primary dimension which gives the x-axis. Each product has an associated COMPOSITION string which indicates the four main components, and I would like the order of the products according to this string. For example, I have

PROD     ITEM      VAL     COMP

productA     foo       41     Brick.Concrete.Steel.Glass

productA     bar       6       Brick.Concrete.Steel.Glass

productB     foo       21     Concrete.Steel.Glass.Brick

productB     bar       9       Concrete.Steel.Glass.Brick

productC     foo       17     Brick.Concrete.Glass.Steel

productC     bar       7       Brick.Concrete.Glass.Steel

with the PROD as the x-axis dimension and ITEM as the second dimension for stacked bars. Now I want productA and productC to be displayed next to each other, since they have the most similar components (and productA first, since Glass is alphabetically before Steel).

I tried to Sort the PROD dimension by the expression = COMP, but this didn't help. I wondered whether Qlikview is confused because each productA has two COMP values, and tried MaxString(COMP) for aggregation. But still the sort order seems to be arbitrary.

In the simple example, I could use a match function (match(COMP,'Brick.Concrete.Steel.Glass',....)) - but in fact I have 17 differenct major components, not in 4^17 combinations but in a lot of them, and new products may have a new one. Therefore I'd rather avoid this, and it can't be so hard to sort by alphabet?

Can someone help me, thanks!

2 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

On the sort tab, check Sort by Expression, and enter =COMP into the expression box. You may need to check Text as well

HTH

Jonathan

BTW, sorting alphabetically should sort to CAB

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable
Author

Hm, well - that is just what I originally did. Items with the same COMP string are often next to each other after that, but not always, and there is no sorting of items with different COMP strings - if I do a manual numbering of the strings, I get e.g. 10, 25, 1, 26, 8, 8, 34, 8, 42, 41, and so on.

I made a screenshot to illustrate this:

The sort window looks like this:

Am I doing something wrong? Is there some special setting I may have wrong?

TIA, Frank