Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

How to synch x-axis?

Hi,

Using alternate states to show two different lines in a plot with dates on x-axis. The lines have a diff in dates which I would like the user to be able to adjust by setting a variable but I haven't succeeded with that approach. Any hints?

5 Replies
andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Only solution I've come up with is to have 2 charts and put one on top of the other.

eespiritu
Creator
Creator

With alternate states you can show exactly that you want.

1. Go to Document properties, in the General tab, click on Alternate States button, and create 2 groups: Group A and Group B

2. Create 2 filters with the same Dimension, but in the General tab, select the group that you defined before. Select a different group for the second filter.

In the chart, add 2 expressions:

Group A -> Sum({[Group A] * $} [FIELD])

Group B -> Sum({[Group B] * $} [FIELD])

Enrique

andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Thanks for your reply but that is exactly the way the chart I attached to the first post is done. The problem is not to show two different selections in a graph. The problem is that i have Date as dimension and the data selected in GroupA belongs to 2012 and the data selected in GroupB belongs to 2014. I would like to have them put on top of each other.

/Andreas

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

The solution is structuring your calendar to meet your reporting requirements. For simple year-on-year comparisons, if you have Year/Month/Day/DayofYear as derived fields in your calendar you could use Month as a dimension, and two expressions using set analysis to select two different years, like:

Sum({<Year={2012}>} Amount

Sum({<Year={2014}>} Amount

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
andy
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III
Author

Hi,

Yes for simple year-to-year analysis that would have been the solution but this is different projects and they can start at any time during the year live from one year to another. Right now I'm showing three charts right under each other in a grid-container. I force the length of the x-axis to be the same for all.

I attach a screenshot. In the upper part they are all plotted on same x-axis and below they have their own x-axis. I think in the lower part you have a better tool to compare the projects.