Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to use 3 dimensions in Line chart

Hi All,

As far as I know Line chart has a limitation of showing only two dimensions, but is there any way to show 3rd dimension??

9 Replies
jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

HI Anil,

QV Reference manual says "Pie, line and scatter charts can display a maximum of two dimensions, bar, block and grid charts three".  So try to use Bar or Block or Grid charts.

Regards,

Jagan.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

There's also the trellis option to create a grid of line charts over a third dimension. Another option that sometimes works is creating a calculated dimension by concatenating two others. For example a calculated dimension SalesRep & '-' & Year together with Month as the other dimension and sum(Sales) as expression to create lines for each SalesRep+Year combination for the sales per month.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thnx for your replay Wassenaar, If possible could you please provide a sample file with trellis option.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Please check attached file for Trellis with 3 dimensions.

Regards,

Jagan.

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Anil,

You can also try Grid chart for 3 dimensions.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your replay Jagan, Concatenating and trills ooption both are fine if we have few values but i have nearly 25 values in two dimensions except time dimension we cant display all the values using trellis and concatenating will not work for my requirement.we have to implement this in line chart only.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I'm unclear why concatenation won't work for your requirement.  I mean, I understand it's not going to look very good when you have a whole lot of values.  On the other hand, I don't see that ANY solution for just a line chart will look good when you have multiple dimensions with a lot of values.  How exactly would you want the line chart to look?

Attached is an example of creating fake dimensions for a line chart by concatenation.  Just to show two different approaches, the X axis is concatenated in the script, and the dimensions for the lines are concatenated in the chart.  The main complexity in this example is trying to only display each of the "outside" dimensions once to help them look more like real dimensions.  If not for that, the dimensions would be simple concatenations.

I do wish QlikView would just let us put in as many dimensions as we want, and tell it whether they should be on the X axis or not.

LineChartMultipleDimensions.png

marthacano01
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

John,  Thank you for helpful answer!!

GraceGao
Creator
Creator

Hi Jonhw

i have same requirement for 3 dimension line chart as you posted. is that possible in Qlik Sense not Qlik view?

looking forward to your reply. 

Thanks.