cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjohnstonti618
Contributor III
Contributor III

Ignoring apostrophes in folder name

I am familiar with keepchar, purgechar, and a few other methods utilized to deal with special characters with normal fields; however, my documentpath and file name have an apostrophe in them and are loaded using variables.

//Client name in this case is Bob's Apples and the code knows to automatically look in a preceding folder to find the client name.

/*Code to define your client name based on folder structure--works fine

Let vClientName = SubField(DocumentPath(),'\',substringcount(DocumentPath(),'\'));

// 2 files loaded from 2 different folders depending on which step of the process were in (1 or 2)...these also load fine for Bob's Apples

Let vStepOneFile = chr(39) & 'T:\clients\$(vClientName)\1-Actuals\Actuals Final.xlsx' & chr(39);

Let vStepTwoFile = chr(39) & 'T:\clients\$(vClientName)\2-Benchmark Rates\Benchmark Rates Final.xlsx' & chr(39);

//These fail when my client name has an apostrophe, such as the case with Bob's Apples.  It accounts for the apostrophe when i set the client name variable, as well as when i load the files from a folder name WITH an apostrophe, but thats it. 

Let vStepOneFileExists=if(FileSize($(vStepOneFile))>0,-1,0);

Let vStepTwoFileExists=if(FileSize($(vStepTwoFile))>0,-1,0);

The error i get reads:

Syntax error

Unexpected token: 's', expected nothing

Let vStepOneFileExists=if(FileSize('T:\clients\Bob'>>>>>>s<<<<<< Apples\Actuals\Actuals Final.xlsx')>0,-1,0);

Any ideas?

11 Replies
stigchel
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

You can probably use an escape character e.g. 'Bob''s Aples', see also

https://community.qlik.com/blogs/qlikviewdesignblog/2015/06/08/escape-sequences

sunny_talwar

May be try this

Let vClientName = Replace(SubField(DocumentPath(),'\',substringcount(DocumentPath(),'\')), Chr(39), Chr(39)&Chr(39));

Trying to see if Escape sequences works here

jjohnstonti618
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you both for quick replies   I will try both of these and report back

sunny_talwar

The idea behind my suggestion is same as stigchel‌‌'s, I guess I am just proposing the way to execute his and mine suggestion in your application

jjohnstonti618
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

So that definitely worked to get by the first part..thank you!!! 

But later in the script when i actually load the data from the excel file, its looking for the double quote now:

2017-05-09 11:10:17 0433 FROM

2017-05-09 11:10:17 0434

2017-05-09 11:10:17 0435 (ooxml, embedded labels, table is [Sheet1])

2017-05-09 11:10:17      Error: Cannot open file: 'T:\clients\Bob''s Apples\Actuals\Shipments Final.xlsx'

2017-05-09 11:10:48      Execution Failed

2017-05-09 11:10:48      Execution finished.

sunny_talwar

Add single quotes while loading also

FROM ['$(vClientName)']

jjohnstonti618
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

i tried doing that 3 different ways and it still is looking for the double quote in the client name... its ok i will troubleshoot this a little further...thanks for the help

sunny_talwar

I guess you can create two variables or change the variable back to a single quote?

Let vClientName = Replace(SubField(DocumentPath(),'\',substringcount(DocumentPath(),'\')), Chr(39), Chr(39)&Chr(39));

Do stuff

Let vClientName = Replace(SubField(DocumentPath(),'\',substringcount(DocumentPath(),'\')), Chr(39)&Chr(39), Chr(39));

FROM ....;

jjohnstonti618
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

That worked... you rock!  Thank you