Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Import files containing multiple tables

Hi,I'm quite new to QV and have been assigned a task where I must import multiple tables residing in one file (it's large tab-sep. textfile often containing several hundred thousand lines). Every table starts with a new line containing the table name.

I have searched the forum and the help-section but haven't been able to figure out how to do this.

A little help please?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

This was a pretty interesting and challenging problem. I found a few ways to tackle the problem and learned about some qlikview quirks along the way.

Your eventual solution may depend on how you want to load the fields of each subfile. Attached in the most straightforward solution I found.

-Rob

http://robwunderlich.com

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I'd probably look for an external ltext-file-splitting program first.  If you get no joy there then maybe something combining RecNo() to count records loaded and Peek() to get the last one, with While...Field1<>NewTableName or something...

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

you can use the option Table Files

Image 01.png

Select your file and configure how do you want

Image 02.png

If you can not extract the data, could provide an example of the format of your file with little information so we can better evaluate.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

What's the pattern that identifies a new table? And does each table have the same or differenent fieldlist? Cna you provide a small example?

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Each table is preceded by a line with pattern "newRecord\t". Each table is different. Different number of fields.  What I would like is soemthing like below (written in c#). Can this be done?  string tableSplit = "newRecord\t" string[] tableNames = { "transactions", "items", etc } foreach (string table in tableNames) {    bool[] doImport = { false, true }    var reader = new streamReader(file)    int i = 0    for (String line = reader.ReadLine();        line != null && doImport[0] && !doImport[1];        line = reader.ReadLine()) {       if (doImport[0] && doImport[1])          ImportTableData(line) // here is where data is loaded..       if (line.startsWith(tableSplit)) {          doImport = line.startsWith(tableSplit+tableName)          if (doImport) i++       }    } }

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Can you post a few sample rows of the input data?

Not applicable
Author

Yes, of course! Here is a small sample file.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

This was a pretty interesting and challenging problem. I found a few ways to tackle the problem and learned about some qlikview quirks along the way.

Your eventual solution may depend on how you want to load the fields of each subfile. Attached in the most straightforward solution I found.

-Rob

http://robwunderlich.com

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, very much appreciated! Glad that I could give you a little challenge

You really gave my work a needed boost here because I didn't really know how to approach the problem. I will go with this solution and see how it turns out when I test it on production files later today.

Again, thanks!

-Mikael