Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Including Parentheses in Search?

Hi all -

I have a field that I need to allow users to search on which contains values that have parentheses in them(for example - "High Speed Racing Device (HSRD)".  Right now it seems that those values will not be shown because of the parentheses.  It's very important to keep them because some users only know the acronym of the value they are looking for.  How can I allow users to search values including the parentheses?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

i see what's going on now...in the properties for your search box, change the default search mode to Use WildCard Search and try it...that should do it.

154114.png

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

how are you trying to do the search? i presume this is not using search object because search object can be used to search in any field pretty much.

giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Create a button with a select in field action and define the search string there. This will be much easier for the user.

Not applicable
Author

We used a search box, yes.  It was the easiest option to search all fields (a number of them have values with parentheses that are relevant).

Not applicable
Author

A search box is unacceptable?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

can you post a screenshot of the issue? i have a field with values that have parentheses and i was able to use default search box object and could get to the value with parentheses.

giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

no of course not but having the user typing something like *(*)* I would try to avoid

Not applicable
Author

Sure, not a problem.  So in the photo below, I searched "RCOH" in the search box, which I have left to search all fields.  In my table below, I have a value for Program Name that clearly contains RCOH in parentheses, yet it does not show up in the search box results.

Example.png

Not applicable
Author

And I guess that's what I'm getting at - is the function of the Search Box item limited in such a way that it will always require additional operators to return values inside parentheses?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

i see what's going on now...in the properties for your search box, change the default search mode to Use WildCard Search and try it...that should do it.

154114.png