Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SNR1
Creator
Creator

Is it possible to recover/Updated data from overwritten files?

Hi All,

Is it possible to get old data from overwritten files.

Recently worked on one app and added some changes to existing application and saved them .

but unfortunately while working on the application i opened several time so latest one i saved and closed. End of the closed all opened application in the my application base file is there i don't remember because of several application(topics) worked and while closing all opened applications it overwritten updated data with base one and all the changes i made those are gone and it became previous base app only.

Is there any process/method to get the updated data.

Thanks in Advance

6 Replies
marcus_sommer

Not from the Qlik side. If windows shadow copies or something similar is enabled you might have luck to restore an earlier version: Shadow Copy - Wikipedia

- Marcus

SNR1
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Marcus for this info.

I don't have shadow copy of my previous work.

Thanks

Nikhil S

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

There may be no solution available for you that works retroactively (or we wouldn't need those wretched backups at all, would we?). But there is one that may help in future situations. QlikView Desktop has a feature called Backup Instances. Enabling this feature allows you to keep the last n saved versions of your document. You can select the number of copies that should be kept in the current document directory. All older copies will be removed, unless you enable the switch  "Keep Selected Older Instances".

See Settings->User Preferences->Save->Use Backup

3 thoughts that may be helpful:

• Enabling this option with a large setting for the number of instances will clutter all document directories. You may have to tweak this setting depending on the number of times you save your QVWs.
  • If you work in a multi-developer environment, every developer should enable this feature. Or you will still lose fallback copies modified by others.
  • There is nothing as fail-safe against inadvertent deletions/wipes/data loss etc. as making real backups. For example at night using some command scripts and an archiving program (like 7-zip), or during development and whenever you're starting large modifications to your document.

Best,

Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You mean both versions (the recent broken one and the older correct one) stem from after the last snapshot was made? Or shadow copies have been disabled altogether for the drive on which you do development work (for example on a server)?

SNR1
Creator
Creator
Author

Yes... I'm working on a remote server Peter

updated the base app with new changes and saved as well. but unfortunately the upated changes are overwritten by old base app. so now app is like base app only all updates are over written by standard and old base data now changes now reflecting.

Thanks In Advance

SNR1
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Peter