Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is there a Field caption in V9 ?

Hi,

when you load data from some datawarehouse, you may see very user-friendly (irony) field name like "FR_EXT_EU_345643_SD" or other things like this. So 1) you are forced to make big changes of all loaded field or 2) you use the original names, but then , you can use labels in interface but the selections boxes uses original names 😞

Several months ago, someone tolds me V9 would include a functionality to include a field 'caption". That is to say a "second" name of the field in order to solve this problem.

I haven't seen it yet , is this functionality exits in QlikView V9 today ? Or is there workaround techniques ?

Best regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can do a

RENAME FIELDS USING mapname

to do a mass renaming.

-Rob

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

It doesn't seem to be resolved in V9. 😞

Best regards,

Janusz

Not applicable
Author

Yes but, is that official ?

Not applicable
Author

As a workaround, you can create a mapping table such as Old field name, New field name.

Then generate a loop to rename all the fields you want...

Rgds

Not applicable
Author

Do you have a short script example of this loop ?

kind regards

gajapathy74
Creator II
Creator II

If I understand your question, you can use the alias in the select ( query ) statement.

Regards

Not applicable
Author

Okay thanks,

That's a static solution, I wonder if it's possible to make a mapping in the script of the fieldname (and not the fields values).

Regards

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

You can do a

RENAME FIELDS USING mapname

to do a mass renaming.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

Thanks,
that's what I was looking for

Regards

Not applicable
Author

It works,

But if I change the name of a field, I have to correct it in some interface objet (actions ... ) :).
I hope, one day we will be able to put two names by QlikView field (the "true" name and a display caption :), I'm almost sure it was planned for the V9.

Anyway, except if somebody have a better idea, I will use a RENAME FIELDS USING mapping, and I'll try not to change the mapping :).

Thanks for your help

Regards