Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is there a way to programmatically (and properly) export and import a document layout in V10?

I am currently implementing a .Net application embedding the QlikView plugin version 10. My goal is to programatically add extension objects to a QlikView document before making it available on a server. Since there is no API functions to create or interact with extension objects (as far as I know), I tried to do that by exporting the document layout to a xml file, modifying the file by adding xml for the new objects and then creating a new document by importing the modified layout and reloading the document.

I have never used layout export functions before and have a few questions about that. First, when using the Document.ExportLayoutFile method only one file is created but when using the File->Export->Document Layout command from the QlikView menu the layout is split into several files. Is this behavior available programmatically (along with the import counterpart)?

Next, if I export the layout to an xml file and create a new document in which I import the layout file the first sheet of the new document (with id "SH01") does not contain any object. If I open the sheet properties dialog I can see the objects in the "objects" tab and display their properties, but I cannot get them to be shown. Is it a bug? Is there a workaround for this?

Third, I read the SR1 release notes and found this :
Import layout is not possible from Version 10 to Version 10. The functionality is kept for backward compatibility with Version 9, but for Version 10, we recommend that you create a project directory adjacent to your QlikView file and then move / copy the files from that project directory if you want to copy layout from one document to another.

What does this mean? Should I understand that xml import/export features will be removed in a future version?

I noticed that when I hide the first sheet before exporting the layout it is correctly recreated when importing the layout into a new document. However, since the API does not allow to access hidden sheets there is no way to automatically show it after the import. Is there a workaround for this?

Any alternative to the export in order to programmatically add extension objects would be really useful, is there anything you can suggest?

1 Reply
Not applicable
Author

Did you ever get a reply on this or figure it out?