Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Is there any thumb rule for Security

Hi All,

I have started to explore security in qlikview.

I came to know that security can be handled by 2 ways either by the publisher or by Section access script.

I wanted to know is there any thumb rule to decide when to use publisher or when to write script for security.

I need to implement security so that on the basis of roles user can be allowed or restricted to go through particular tabs.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies
tseebach
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Back in 8.x and 9, we always used Publisher to create multiple files based on loop and reduce rules.

Now with 10 and integrated sections access handling, and the new license models of 9 (Document Cals) we have started to lean against using sections access more. Sections Access will require you only to have 1 file for many users. While loop and reduce creates many files, one for each access set. Loop and reduces is however easier to debug (since you can open one file and check if its all there).

If you need to hand out documents to mobile users, and preferably they need the same document then Section Access is the way to go.

Also the Loop and Reduce method puts more strain on the QlikView server since it requires a lot of documents to be loaded into memory, when used by many users who have different rights. Since Loop and Reduce creates many copies of the files, you need you delete files manually (f.ex. a department that has been removed), since the publisher does not clean its own files.

In a QlikView changing business enviroment, Documents Cals and Loop and Reduce is impossible to maintain, since to constantly need to add documents cals to User Documents.

So if you have documents cals, and offline users Section Access is the only way to go. Else might think about Loop and Reduce.

I guess that should cover your question, hope its what you wanted!

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Torben for the reply. I have the limitaion to work with qlikview 8.5 only. So as per your discussion what i understand is that i need to implement security through publisher to show or hide the tabs as per the user roles. Please correct me if i am wrong to understand it correctly.

tseebach
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hide and show of tabs is not a publisher feature. That is simply a show/hide condition on the tab properties.

But using 8.5 I would use publisher for security.

I hope you are aware that 8.5 is no longer supported by QlikView support. Only 10 and 9 are.