Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjsellers57
Contributor II
Contributor II

KeyWord Syntax

Performance associated with Syntax

When typing in KeyWord syntax in QlikView the KeyWord will be provided in various text formats to choose from (i.e. some all upper, some mixed case, some all lower case).  Even so, majority of the typed KeyWords used are accepted, for Example LOAD (is all upper per QlikView), but < load > or < Load > are accepted.  I heard sticking to the exact KeyWords is best practice in your code (backend and frontend)  and will provide the best performance, is this true?  As the underlying code must do additional translations if you deviate from the provided exact syntax.

I have used: (exambles of deviations)

• 'AS' when QlikView suggests 'as'
  • 'Load' when Qlikview suggest 'LOAD'
  • 'If' when Qlikview suggests 'IF'
  • 'Drop Table' when QlikView suggests 'DROP Table'
3 Replies
giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

I don't know if the upper or lower case makes a performance difference.

what I do know is that Sum(Sales( and sum(Sales) for example are different expressions for QlikView, so the server does not use it's cache to evaluate them but creates separate cache for each.

That has a performance impact, especially for complicated expressions or high data volume.

prashantbaste
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Bernard,

Case sensitivity will not reflect performance in Qlikview.

But yes this is best practice which helps to make understand/highlight operations performed in coding & a reader can easily identify it. But there is no relation between Case sensitive keywords and performance of script.

But as a good programmer, one should keep habit of writing a neat & clean code with proper+simple syntax.

Complicated/Nested syntax affects on performance of application.

Please refer below link for more & better understandings.

https://community.qlik.com/servlet/JiveServlet/previewBody/7343-102-1-9596/Best%20Practices%20in%20D...

--

Regards,

Prashant P Baste

Not applicable

During script execution these differences will have no impact, I would say whichever you go with, be consistent and use use them across the whole script. Mixing your upper and lower cases around just looks a bit messy!