Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

LISTBOX Search Expression - Latest Day

I have an attribute called YMDSTRING with days in it.  The expression MAXSTRING(YMDSTRING) returns the latest day ( eg 2011-08-23 as of the writing of this note).   I have tried using this in as search expression in a YMDSTRING listbox with no luck.  Why?  If i type in 2011-08-23 i get the value i want.  Ultimately i want an expression that returns only the latest day in a listbox with days in it! Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I also have often hard times with search expressions, I don't find it really intuitive.

Anyway, I think

=YMDSTRING=maxstring(total YMDSTRING)

could work as search expression (enter all characters as shown). At least it works here 😉

Regards,

Stefan

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Bump for daytime folks (in North America )

Not applicable
Author

Hi twebber ,

correct me if i'm wrong you want a latest date of your ymdstring

Can you try this Date#(min(YMDSTRING))

thanks

Meher

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I also have often hard times with search expressions, I don't find it really intuitive.

Anyway, I think

=YMDSTRING=maxstring(total YMDSTRING)

could work as search expression (enter all characters as shown). At least it works here 😉

Regards,

Stefan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

It doesn't work swuehl.  Like all my attempts the whole list turns green (which is odd because its as if the whole list matches but I dont think that is the case...).   Note, I only have one row in my list that is the maximum so this something should work.  If I type if 2011-08-23 in the serach box it will work.  If I put =maxstring(YMDSTRING) in a  text box object to see what it evaluates to, it will be 2011-08-23.   What gives!

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I assume you used the - crucial here - total qualifier? Without total, I think the maxstring is evaluated per row, returning all dates.

If you did, I don't have a clue yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Very strange.  It worked this time.  When i tried it a few minutes ago, my typing was lagged.  I think my machine was hurting for memory.  Anyway, i shut down some applications including QV, started it again and it worked.  Thankyou.  It sorta bugs me that an application wont work properly when the machine is low on resources without warning.   Hmm.