Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
quiquehm
Contributor III
Contributor III

Late arriving dimension value

Hi everyone,

I have a strange issue in one of my Qlikview apps. When I load my data , sometimes I miss a value in a dimension field. Surprisingly when I reload the data again ( sometimes I need to reload it twice ), my missing value "magically" shows up. It also works when I use the debugger and hit the animate button, so the data load goes step by step ( slower than a normal data load). Then my pivot table shows all data that I expect

Has anybody experienced this issue as well ? I am trying to understand if I have something wrong in my script, other than that, the app works perfect.

Thanks a lot for any hint

Enrique

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Enrique, you should enable the Script/Document logging in the app, that way you can check that to see exactly how many rows are fetched from each data source to know for certain that part of things is working correctly every time, as if that is consistent, then it would appear to be something in the data model more than likely causing the issue, or perhaps something in one of the expressions having trouble calculating consistently, and only thing of which I can think there is if you are using variables in those and maybe have a nested variable somewhere such that the one variable is not always there etc. if that makes any sense.  I would start by checking the script log first though to be sure everything fetches the same there when the issue does not and does occur and proceed from there.

That setting is in Settings\Document Properties\General tab settings in the Desktop client while you have the app open, just FYI.  The log writes to the same location as the app when you run things via Desktop and filename will be same as qvw filename with a different extension on the end of things.  Hopefully that gets you able to move a bit further forward here.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Enrique, you should enable the Script/Document logging in the app, that way you can check that to see exactly how many rows are fetched from each data source to know for certain that part of things is working correctly every time, as if that is consistent, then it would appear to be something in the data model more than likely causing the issue, or perhaps something in one of the expressions having trouble calculating consistently, and only thing of which I can think there is if you are using variables in those and maybe have a nested variable somewhere such that the one variable is not always there etc. if that makes any sense.  I would start by checking the script log first though to be sure everything fetches the same there when the issue does not and does occur and proceed from there.

That setting is in Settings\Document Properties\General tab settings in the Desktop client while you have the app open, just FYI.  The log writes to the same location as the app when you run things via Desktop and filename will be same as qvw filename with a different extension on the end of things.  Hopefully that gets you able to move a bit further forward here.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
quiquehm
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thanks a lot for the suggestion Brett. I tried the logfile and it´s true,  it's quite helpful . I could check there number of rows fetched from every file, really handy. 

Also I believe I solved the problem ( or it looks like it is solved for now ) by removing an unneeded QVD file I created in the middle of the script. I noticed the QVD was not needed anymore once I learned things like resident loads ..and preceeding loads ( these later ones really really powerful and simple ). Not sure that was the real root cause of the problem , but apparently the issue is not happening again.  Anyway I will keep monitoring the results to ensure the problem is gone away once forever. 

Thanks for the help

Rgds

Enrique

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Enrique, glad the point in the right direction allowed you to get things sorted out, sounds like you have some fairly complex load scripts, so being able to use the logs to verify things going forward should be very helpful in sorting out any problems you run into, good luck with things.

Regards,
Brett