Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Limit on field size in Macro

I wrote an interesting macro to loop through all fields and enumerate the selected values.  I will post that separately.

For the largest field it writes the values in (value1|value2) format so you can copy and paste that into a listbox to reproduce the selections.

I did this because otherwise current selections may say County: 500 of 5,000.

The macro works great, even under Ajax.

The macro even sends a mail message via CDO under Ajax.

Everything was great then I hit a limit.

It seems that there is a maximum size of fields in a QV Macro. 

I was able to parse 1.5 Million characters but somewhere above that - not sure where it bombs.

It bombs on building that field not sending the email.

I am posting to get your thoughts.  So far the best Idea I have is to use the FileScripting Object if that works under Ajax and write the current selections to a set of files.  There is only 1 field that could be huge so that one I would have to keep some sort of count lets say if it's over 1.3 million rows after the next value close the file and start a new one.  Then I would generate the same email but with a set of files attached.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Please don't start with Macros are bad.  Yes they are but this is way too big for a Mailto and there really is no other solution for their use case.

Thanks

Dan

0 Replies