Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Limitation Direct query

Hi,

Is it still a limitation to Connect to more than 1 table in Direct Query (Discovery,sql)?

I use qv 12 sr 5. This shall not be used on server side, only on local desktop.

10 Replies
sunny_talwar

I think you can connect to more than one table, the only issue is that you won't be able to use them together in single chart. Alternative is to join the two tables in the SQL so that QlikView bring them as a single table which can then be used in one single chart.

I hope this is what your questions was looking for

stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master
Author

Thanks Sunny,

I know that I can build views in the SQL server. But this time I want to Connect to more than one database.

I will create a Dashboard so it not necessary that the tables is joined or Connected With each other.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

If you are using QlikView 11.20 SR11 or higher, yes, you can connect to more than one table in the same script. See the documentation below and limitations in section 3.8

Direct Discovery Technical Addendum_11.2_SR11_and_Sense.pdf

stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master
Author

Thanks mbaeyens‌,

So many tables is ok, good, how about many Connections in the same Application?

I will not build a qlikview model, just bring out measure from several databases.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

I have not used Direct Discovery with more than one source in the same script, and not being in the official documentation as a possibility or as a limitation, I cannot say for sure.

If it is of any use, if CONNECT works the same way it works for non direct sources, then you can only connect to one database, because the last CONNECT is the one that prevails (i.e.: the SQL SELECT uses the closest CONNECT data source in case you have many, which you can), and the script is not dynamic, it runs when it runs and you cannot in the front end what is part of the script.

However, it is also true that for the DD something must be kept in memory, or somewhere else, so QlikView must know what to query and where the query must run.

Let's see if someone has already tried and their results.

stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master
Author

Thanks Miguel,

that was one of my thoughts, if qlikview should know what datasource it should Connect to because of no script is executed. I can check by myself and see whats happens if no one else have the answer.

stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master
Author

I have now test With 2 Connection, no error while running the script, both tables in scriptview, BUT I can only use measure from the first Connection. If a do a sum from second loaded table it says "Error:Database Connection failed"

So 2 or more Connection will not work for now. THIS WAS WRONG, it all Works.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Thank you for sharing.

It would be nice to have this documented in the official technical paper.

stabben23
Partner - Master
Partner - Master
Author

I will do one more check before its a correct statement.