we have an app that has been running for a couple of years. It contains a list box that is set to one selected value. It stopped working. I tried recreating the list box and resetting the one selected value. I also created a Trigger OnOpen SelectField = =if(GetSelectedCount(%Source)=1,%Source,'Invoice') .
I have saved, reloaded, waited, cleared cache, and removed last state- even though it is working on my desktop it is not working in ACCESSPOINT.
anyone have a similar issue?
One day i got the problem with control version in accesspoint. There could be other actions which disturb with this field?
thank you for the reply
I am not sure I understand what you mean by control version. I do know that a new version of the app is being loaded because I would make a small noticeable change so I would know if the latest version was being viewed in accesspoint. is this what you are referring to?
there is no other actions that I am aware of.
Version Control - Similar to level (3-tier architecture). Can you remove all triggers and use Default option then check the same?
The "always one selected" property is a property of the data field, rather than a list box property (in spite of the fact that you set the value on a list box)**. If you start with an no-data load (such as rebuilding the model from source control), then all the field properties (including this one) are lost.
The setting can also be lost if the field is empty, or if another list box is created elsewhere and the always one selected option is cleared on that list box.
**You can prove this for yourself by creating two list boxes on the same field (distinct list boxes, not linked ones). If you change the property on one listbox, then the property changes on the other as well. This makes sense if you think about it.
I will try. My confusion lies in that this has been functioning for a couple of years as being set to always one value. It just started failing. and to complicate the issue. This is only happening in my production environment.
Something you said caused me to try my test version through access point- it is working as it has been
just entering the app the %source is Invoice and it can not be cleared.
I copied the files from test into our production folder- changed the word test to prod
I just entered the app through access point. the Invoice in the %source list box should be green.
it literally is the exact same app. I did not refresh the data.