Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Multi-selection box with several fields - shorten Dropdown_lists?

Hi,

I have a multi_selection_box in my app where one can make selections on three hierarchical levels:

- plant (top-level)

- bigger_area (medium-level)

- area (lower level)

Currently, however, the length of the dropdown-lists seems to be determined by the max. nr. of items that can be there.

That has the effect that, when someone selects a plant where there are few areas to choose from, they get a rather long list, with just a few selectable (white) items on top while all the rest is just an opaque grey field.

=> This looks a bit strange.

=> Can I fix that?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

See attached example.

The breaks you see are probably the result of the sort order settings. If Sort by State is enabled try another option than is currently selected.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

On the Presentation tab of the properties window of the multibox you can find the setting Limit Drop-down to. Enable that and choose the number of values you want to show.

You could also replace the some fields with expressions: aggr(FieldName,FieldName). That way only possible values will be shown.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Gysbert,

the first proposal would not help me - how many values are selectable (and should thus be shown) depends on the selection one level above.

Your second proposal seems helpful - but I don't quite understand what the aggr() fct. can do here?

Can you make that a bit clearer?

The effect is quite strange - as there are not only long grey areas in the dropdown-list, but (depending on the case) even "breaks" inbetween - one white (selectable) item, then an opaque grey bit, then another white item etc.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Gysbert_Wassenaar

See attached example.

The breaks you see are probably the result of the sort order settings. If Sort by State is enabled try another option than is currently selected.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Cool!

Thanks!

I'll put that into the template we have for use with any new apps we will build in future. Great trick! Makes the whole thing look better.