Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.
Hi all, I've been trying to get NPrinting to work over the last couple of days. Basically, I have a report that is outputted as an Excel file into an output folder. That all works fine.
However, there are about 600 reports all generated using a cycle, and I want to be able to create a dynamic path that is based on the specific report. Each report is based on a sales branch, and each branch has a Director. I want each branch to be in its respective director's folder, so I created a variable in the app that simply prints the name of the director.
I've placed this variable into the custom path of the output, but when I run the task, the name of the field appears rather than the actual value! I've attached a screenshot of what I'm seeing in case that helps.
I have absolutely no idea why it's not pasting the value. I've tried adding an equals sign before the field name, but that only results in '-'. Anyone have any suggestions?
Hi Henry Summer,
I have similar problem too. Did you find any solution for this?
Please let me know if you find any solution to this problem.
The solution is to add an equals sign to the beginning of the variable in the Qlikview application. The problem I was having is that the output paths are created at the end of the reports cycle, meaning that the selections will have been turned off.
I got around this with a workaround, which involved creating a separate Nprinting task for every single value in the field I wanted making into a sub folder. This meant creating 32 tasks. It took a long time, and it was annoying to say the least, but it works, and it's still being used today.
Any queries, just let me know.
I did exactly the same by creating multiple tasks and creating a separate path for each task to make the report distribute to the respective folder. Is there anyway we can use variable to avoid creating those many tasks?
Does Nprinting have that capability to do that?
From what I understand about Nprinting, I don't believe there is a way to make the file paths dynamic like this. This is because Nprinting keeps the files in a temporary output location whilst the reports are being generated, and then sends them to the specified path after the reports have finished running. At this point, the selection in the Qlik app will have been lost, and there's no way for Nprinting to know what the intended criteria were.
My only advice would be to build the tasks in such a way that the output locations will rarely (or never) change.
Thanks for the explanation. It really makes sense to me why Nprinting is not able to make use of variables in Destinations.
Thank a lot Henry!!
No worries at all, glad I was of some help.