Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siddharth_kulka
Creator II
Creator II

OLEDB Connection error (ORA 12541: TNS No Listener)

Getting below error when testing an OLEDB connection on desktop.

Error.PNG

Facts:

1. Trying to connect to Oracle DB on DEV server using OLEDB

Conn.PNG

2. The connection works when logged into actual DEV server but fails from desktop

3. Using

qlik.PNG

4. 64 Bit Driver installed on desktop

Driver.PNG

5. TNSNAMES.ORA with correct entries copied at the required location (Working for others)

6. Tried re-installing oracle client and driver to negate corrupt driver issue if any, but to no avail

Any idea, what else might be causing this? Any experiences?

Thanks,

Sid

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

As I can see, you can´t "see" your host

Please copy slqnet.ora and tnsnames.ora from an working station (or your DSV server)

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

TNSPING NYAMFID1.us.db.com

returns what?

siddharth_kulka
Creator II
Creator II
Author

tnsping.PNG

maxgro
MVP
MVP

there is no service_name in your alias

compare the tnsping result on the desktop and on the server

what is different? oracle version? sqlnet.ora? tnsnames.ora?

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

I would say this is not specific to you Oracle connection form QlikView, but would be a problem from any client connection on the same machine. You might be able to find quicker and more detailed help from Oracle forums or help pages.

I found these pages that have some suggestions and reasoning on what the problem might be;

ORA-12541: TNS: no listener

http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/ORA-12541

Would these help you resolve the issue?

siddharth_kulka
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Massimo,

I only have TSANAMES.ORA in the required folder on the desktop. I do not have sqlnet.ora copied over? Is sqlnet.ora required?

Also, I did not get your comment "there is no service_name in your alias". Could you pls clarify, so that I can resolve this?

siddharth_kulka
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Toni,

I have SQL Developer on my desktop and I am able to connect using it. So for the same database, Qlikview is giving a problem but SQL Developer works fine.

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

That sounds a bit surprising to me. Are you using exactly the same credentials and driver?

siddharth_kulka
Creator II
Creator II
Author

For SQL Developer, we use different credentials but the same driver.

Regardless, the point is:

1. The credentials AND/OR OLEDB URL that is being used by Qlikview works fine when logged in to the server

2. Except for another developer (like me), no one has this issue (Desktop).

So my best guess is- There is something that I may be missing here. A trivial setting or a file similar to (TNSNAMES.ORA) that needs to be copied over.

Clever_Anjos
Employee
Employee

As I can see, you can´t "see" your host

Please copy slqnet.ora and tnsnames.ora from an working station (or your DSV server)