cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gfisch13
Creator II
Creator II

Object Dependency

Hi Everyone - please have a look at the attachment.  I've created a sheet that includes a graph and a table. I'd like the behavior to be that the selections on the left control the graph and in turn the table reflects the detail data represented by those selections.    so far that is not happening.  I have an alternate state at the sheet level, what am I doing wrong??

Thanks!!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I don't want you to do anything. I am just trying to understand what you want to do.

If you are using an alternate state only on this sheet and all objects should consider CASE_STATUS as Closed. you could also create a list box for CASE_STATUS in inherited state.  Select 'Closed' in this list box, then right click on the list box and 'Lock' the list box / field. If needed, you can now remove the list box again from the sheet. The selection state should now be locked to Closed and all objects should be affected by this selection automatically.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hm, maybe I am missing something obvious. Which company in the table is shown though not listed as possible value in the list box? Or in other words: why do you think that the selection does not affect the table?

gfisch13
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I neglected to add that I put a condition on the Dimensions tab for the graph object

CASE_STATUS = "Closed'

swuehl
MVP
MVP

You put this condition at which place?

If you used it as conditional dimension, this doesn't work on a per dimension value level, it enables / disables the complete dimension at once and hence evaluates the condition in global context.

In a calculated dimension, you should probably use something like

=If(CASE_STATUS = 'Closed', CASE_STATUS)

gfisch13
Creator II
Creator II
Author

screen2.JPG

So basically this whole sheet works off this condition, that's why I thought by placing it here would work.  The table below is not changing so I know something is wrong.   With the statement you show above, where would I put that so that both objects are under its control?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you want a condtion to apply to all objects, you need to use selections in your data model (or add calculated dimensions or aggregations with set analysis to all objects),

Maybe I still don't understand what you are after. Try adding a set analysis like

{<CASE_STATUS = {'Closed'}>}

to all your aggregation functions like

Count({<CASE_STATUS = {'Closed'}>}  CaseID)

gfisch13
Creator II
Creator II
Author

I think I see where you're going with this.  Basically it looks like you want me to isolate my CLOSED cases and then do all my analysis/calculations off that.   Sorry for the lack of understanding I'm a rookie!!!

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I don't want you to do anything. I am just trying to understand what you want to do.

If you are using an alternate state only on this sheet and all objects should consider CASE_STATUS as Closed. you could also create a list box for CASE_STATUS in inherited state.  Select 'Closed' in this list box, then right click on the list box and 'Lock' the list box / field. If needed, you can now remove the list box again from the sheet. The selection state should now be locked to Closed and all objects should be affected by this selection automatically.

gfisch13
Creator II
Creator II
Author

This actually worked perfectly and was exactly what I needed.  My population is Closed Cases and both objects are reflecting that.  Thank you for your time an patience!!!!

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Glad that it works for you. I believe using standard QV features like a simple list box is often best.

The user also sees in the Current Selection box that the status is selected, so everything should be pretty clear and straight forward, not too much hidden filters set.