Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Only show specified year selection

Hi everyone,

I have a year coloum from 2000 to 2016. Now I have two slider objects, where I can select the desired start year and another one for the desired end year.

E.g. I only wanna illustrate years 2010 to 2014 in my bar chart.

The variable for the start year is called "yearlow" and for the end year "yearhigh".

Dimensions: company name and year

Expression is normally something like this: =sum({<company=$::company>}[net profit])

----------

I have two ideas how to solve it:

1. instead of the year dimension a customized dimension where I include the two year variables, but how?

2. Include the year range via set analysis in the expression

Your support is much appreciated guys!

Regards!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

A set analysis expression sounds like a good idea: sum({<year={'>=$(yearlow)<=$(yearhigh)'}, company=$::company>}[net profit])

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

A set analysis expression sounds like a good idea: sum({<year={'>=$(yearlow)<=$(yearhigh)'}, company=$::company>}[net profit])

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thank you very much. Unfortunately, it doesn't work yet, but I assume there's only a syntax error.

I now use a scatter chart:

x: =sum($(variableforalternatestate1)+$(variableforalternatestate2)[$(fieldx)])

y: =sum($(variableforalternatestate1)+$(variableforalternatestate2)[$(fieldy)])

z: =sum($(variableforalternatestate1)+$(variableforalternatestate2)[$(fieldz)])

variableforalternatestate1

=if([Button]=1,'{<year={'>=$(yearlow)<=$(yearhigh)'}, company=alternatstate1::company}>',

if([Button]=2,'{<year={'>=$(yearlow)<=$(yearhigh)'}, company=alternatstate2::company}>',

if([Button]=3,'{<year={'>=$(yearlow)<=$(yearhigh)'}, company=alternatstate3::company}>',

if([Button]=4,'{<year={'>=$(yearlow)<=$(yearhigh)'}, company=alternatstate4::company}>',

if([Button]=5,'{<year={'>=$(yearlow)<=$(yearhigh)'}, company=alternatstate5::company}>')))))

variableforalternatestate2 is similar to this

fieldx ,fieldy and fieldz definitely work.

Again, thanks for your help!

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Rather than variables and set analysis, consider incorporating it into your data model. You wouldn't hardcode the years like this, just giving you the idea of what the data would need to look like.

yearlow:
yearlow,year

yearhigh:
LOAD
year as yearhigh
,yearlow as year
RESIDENT yearlow
;

Then go ahead and keep year as your dimension, and go ahead and keep the same expression. You just let them select yearlow and yearhigh like any other value. Maybe a calendar object.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you John, but I actually figured out how to use the above approach.

Actually, it was important to split the argument into two parts, as the ' ' caused the syntax issue.

=if([Button]=1,'{<year={'>=$(yearlow)<=$(yearhigh)'}, company=alternatstate1::company}>',

So I made another variable for the underlined part.. let's call it yearselect.

Finally, my expression looks like this: =sum({<year={$(yearselect)},$(variableforalternatestate1)>+<year={$(yearselect)},$(variableforalternatestate2)>}[$(fieldx)])

Many thanks to both of you! Much appreciated!