Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Open Excel App with parameter

Hello,

I want to open the application Excel with a parameter, so I used the following formular in my diagram:

='excel<url>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e'

I set the presentation type of the formular to "hyperlink".

If I click on the hyperlink in the diagram, QV ask if I really want to open it, but then says it can't open the application. If I only try the following formular, Excel opens:

='excel<url>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE"'

I also tried the following but it doesn't work, too:

='excel<url>"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE /e"'

Do you have any idea?

Thanks a lot.

Peggy

3 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Peggy,

I'd create a shortcut to the EXE file with the parameter, and call in the expression to the .LNK file. I've just tested it and that works.

Hope that helps.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

that would be the solution if I would always use the same path, but here I only described a simple example of my real world.

In reality I want to call another application (archiv) and I have to put parameters for the document ID within the path. So I need to call it from QV.

Thanks.

Peggy

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Then I'm afraid you should create buttons that depending on each value selected in the table, builds the path to the application. In the Actions tab of the button and text object you do have a section where you can add parameters. The link representation is not for running software rather than actual URLs. If you set the path with parameters in the Open URL action, that will not work either.

Hope that makes sense

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica