Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Orphan qvw in User Documents folder

Hi all,

I can see an orphan document laying in QMC\User Documents folder.

This document was created in root folder in the very beginning for testing purpose and not deleted properly (not by me)

I don;t see any physical file with same file name either in source or user documents folder.

No users assigned. Not sure what tasks had created on that file while testing. Now no tasks, no users assigned on that orphan qvw.

How to get rid of that document from user documents view.

What I did?

1.Based on some research in community, I created a dummy qvw with same file name  and put it in User documents folder.

Now I can see two of them with same (exact) file name . When I delete dummy file, it is not shown in QMC, but still the old one exists.

2. I also unmounted root folder and tried.No use. Still it appears

Did anyone faced similar issue  and how did you solve it

Kindly share your toughts

Untitled-1.jpg

7 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hello Hanuman,

In short, Orphaned Document means that the QMC couldn't find that Source Document that has reload task(s) created for it. The purpose of the <Orphans> folder is to allow administrators to remove/clean the tasks after the related documents have been removed.

Creating a dummy/blank QVW is typically a step to recover “lost” Document CALs, not resolve Orphaned Tasks. You would create a dummy/blank QVW with the same name of a QVW which is displayed in the QMC in ALL CAPS. The QVW name in ALL CAPS is indicative of Document CALs still allocated to a QVW which was deleted from the User Documents (Windows side). If you create a blank/dummy QVW with the same name of the QVW which appears in ALL CAPS in the QMC, you will then be able to de-allocate the Document CALs from that QVW and thereby regain the “lost” Doc CALs

If you are experiencing an issue with the QVW in ALL CAPs, then try the below steps:

1. Stop the QlikView Server service.
  2. Add PgoAsXmlAlso=1 under [Settings 7]  in the Settings.ini file located in %ProgramData%\QlikTech\QlikViewServer (default location - if you have changed the default location, then go to the location you changed to)
  3. Restart the QlikView Server service
  4. Navigate to Root Directory and Open the CalData.pgo.xml file to determine to which document the CALs were assigned
  5. Create a new blank QVW file named the same as document listed in CalData.pgo.xml & save it in the Root directory
  6. In Management Console, navigate to Documents > User Documents and locate QWV created in the previous step
  7. Click Document CALs tab and set Number of CALs allocated to this Document to zero and click Apply

Hope this helps.

-Chip

Principal Technical Support Engineer with Qlik Support
Help users find answers! Don't forget to mark a solution that worked for you!
Not applicable
Author

I have gone through that. But no possibility of using 3rd party tools in production server.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the same thing. Then I can see two documents with same name.

None of them have doc cals assgigned. When I delete the dummy file, one qvw is removing from user docs and the other still remains.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Chip,

I followed same steps for creating XML files.

I can open CalData.pgo.xml and I cannot see the document name that I want in that.

What does it means? No CAL assigned on that document??

Where should I look for?

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

When the QVW is removed, can you account for all of your Doc CALs?
Review the CalData.pgo.xml file for where the QVW in question is stored. Instead of creating the dummy/blank QVW in the Root folder, create it where the xml file states it is located.

If you aren't able to get this sorted out, then raise a support request with Qlik Support.

Chip_Matejowsky
Support
Support

Hey Hanuman,

The CalData.pgo.xml file is simply the contents of the CalData.pgo file exported over to xml so that you can review its contents, as .pgo files are not readable otherwise. You should be looking for the QVW file which appears in ALL CAPS in the QMC and check how many Doc CALs are allocated to it. You should be able to determine the hierarchy of User Document directory, pinpointing where the QVW in question was stored prior to being deleted, if it wasn't in the Root Folder.

Were you able to complete step 7 and remove the Doc CALs allocated to the QVW? If so, when you look in QMC > System > Licenses > QlikView Server > Client Access Licenses (CALs) > Document CALs, do you see all of the Doc CALs you are expecting to see? If not, then go ahead a contact Qlik Support, as they can assist you in determining where the QVW was located when it was deleted on the Windows side by reviewing the CalData.pgo.xml file.