Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Percent for stacked value bar

Hi,

I am having trouble with what I think should be fairly simple so I assume the answer is staring me in the face and I just keep looking past it.

I want to have a graph that represents the SUM of a value with different calculation criteria for each expression, but instead of the actual value being displayed on the data point I want the percentage of that bar. Here is an example of what a table like this looks like:

error loading image

I try to do this in QV, there is no option that I can find to just display the percentage of the bar that an expression takes up that I can find, so I thought I could just make two invisible expressions to calculate the percentages and lay the data over top. This is what happens when I try this:

error loading image

It displays only the first value on both stacks, and when you scroll over each stack it displays both percentages. I thought maybe it assigns each percentage expression to each bar so I tried to us an IF statement to create two different outcomes in one percentage expression but that just resulted in null percentage (since there are two values where there should be one).

I have attached this example QVW to show what I did. Does anyone know how to achieve this and what I am missing here? Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

What is happening is that both values are being displayed, but the white meat % overalys the red meat %. I can suggest two workarounds:

1. Have the % display using Text on Axis - this keeps them separate
  2. Replace the two % expressions with a single expression that produces text, which you can display on the data points or on the axis. Something like:

= 'Red: ' & Num(SUM(IF(Product = 'Beef' OR Product = 'Lamb', Sales)) / SUM(Sales), '#0%') & '
White: ' & Num(SUM(IF(Product = 'Fish' OR Product = 'Chicken' OR Product = 'Pork', Sales)) / SUM(Sales), '#0%')

(Note the embedded line break is significant)

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

What is happening is that both values are being displayed, but the white meat % overalys the red meat %. I can suggest two workarounds:

1. Have the % display using Text on Axis - this keeps them separate
  2. Replace the two % expressions with a single expression that produces text, which you can display on the data points or on the axis. Something like:

= 'Red: ' & Num(SUM(IF(Product = 'Beef' OR Product = 'Lamb', Sales)) / SUM(Sales), '#0%') & '
White: ' & Num(SUM(IF(Product = 'Fish' OR Product = 'Chicken' OR Product = 'Pork', Sales)) / SUM(Sales), '#0%')

(Note the embedded line break is significant)

Hope that helps

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
kji
Employee
Employee

Instead of creating a new expression you could put the percent calculation into the first expression using the Dual function.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for both of your help I used a solution based on both that is satisfactory for my needs.

For the main value expressions I used DUAL as such:

DUAL(NUM(SUM(IF(Product = 'Beef' OR Product = 'Lamb', Sales)) / SUM(Sales), '#0.0%'), SUM(IF(Product = 'Beef' OR Product = 'Lamb', Sales)))

That allowed me to use "Values on Data Points" to display the percentage over the stacks and keep the stacks and axis based on the normal values.

Then I used a third dimension with the expression:

'Red Meat: ' & NUM(SUM(IF(Product = 'Beef' OR Product = 'Lamb', Sales)), '#0,000') & '
White Meat: ' & NUM(SUM(IF(Product = 'Fish' OR Product = 'Chicken' OR Product = 'Pork', Sales)), '#0,000')

That allowed me to tick "Text as Pop-up" and still display the actual values when moving the cursor over the stacks. It displays both actual values on both stacks. It would be good to somehow exclude one out but this solution is close enough I think.