Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Pie charts with time dimension

Hi everyone,

I'm a Qlikview beginner and am struggling with the finer points of chart manipulation.

In this case, my problem is with pie charts. I have a line sand chart that has two Dimensions - Year and Customer - and one Expression, sum(Amount). The chart has a fast change option to a Pie Chart. However, because of these Dimensions and Expressions, and Pie Chart is ugly and very crowded - in the middle of the Pie is the aggregation of sum(Amount) by Customer across all years, and around it are slivers representing each sum(Amount) for every Customer in every year.

#1 - Is there a way where I could manipulate this, and break it out so that instead I would have multiple pie charts, each providing sum(Amount) for every customer for one year? I.e. if the period was 2001-2008, could I have 8 smaller pie charts in the chart area?

#2 - A related question would be - is it possible to conditionally change Dimensions for Fast Type Change - i.e. can I set a condition to remove the Year Dimension when the chart switches to a Pie Chart?

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hey Andrew,

Please check out the attached file.

• For your first question I would use a Grid chart and a line chart for fast change to achieve what you want.
  • For second part you could use an input box to manipulate what chart you are seeing with what dimensions

Hope it helps

Thanks

AJ

View solution in original post

5 Replies
giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

My opinion : Never use pie charts. Use bar charts instead.

In order to make small multiples based on year, use set analysis :

sum({$<Year={"$(=only(Year))"}>} Amount)

Not applicable
Author

When you say set analysis, you mean I would place that formula in Expressions definition?

Thank you for your quick reply!

Not applicable
Author

Hey Andrew,

Please check out the attached file.

• For your first question I would use a Grid chart and a line chart for fast change to achieve what you want.
  • For second part you could use an input box to manipulate what chart you are seeing with what dimensions

Hope it helps

Thanks

AJ

giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Yes

sum({$<Year={"$(=only(Year))"}>} Amount) will give you the amount for the selected year

and

sum({$<Year={"2014"}>} Amount) only for 2014 etc.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you both very much!