I have a QV application that contains pivot tables. Normally when using the application on my PC I can reorganize rows and columns. However I can't figure out how I can do the same when using the application on mobile or iPad.
Is there any way I can do it ?
You are going to need to provide further information on this one, we need to know if you are using the Ajax client via the mobile client or did you download the mobile client from the app store for the mobile device, that is key information on this one. We also need to know version you are running too, the full build number, xx.xx.xxxxx.
About the best I can offer otherwise is the following Help link to be sure what you are expecting is the documented functionality, but this is for the Ajax Client/Web View mode:
For the Mobile client, please see the following link for documentation:
Thanks for your reply.
I tried this both in the Ajax client and the app. None of them seemed to work.
The version I'm using is 12.20.20600.0
And once again what I'm trying to do is described in the attached picture. Normally this would be the most simple thing, but I can't figure out how to do it using the application on mobile or iPad.
The latest build for 12.20 is 21100, so I would recommend you test with that build, but you may want to consider moving to one of the newer point releases, as support on 12.20 will end this coming November. I did a quick test in 12.50 putting Desktop into WebView, and I have no issue pivoting a dimension there. I have been trying to get to one of my servers to see what I can do with my iPhone, but due to VPN on my laptop, unable to get to it, and the demo site appears to be having issues too, as could not get any of the apps to load up for me to try things there. That would be the other thing you could try, but I am pretty sure you are likely going to have same issue I had with the demo site, but you can try, demo.qlik.com, to see if you do have any better luck. I have tried a few times now, and I just cannot get it to load up. Will keep trying this afternoon and shout back if I can actually get something open later to test.
Pretty sure things are likely working as expected, and the issue is 'touch-enabled' device, here is Help link to things:
I tested on a Surface Pro device and I saw the exact same behavior as my iPhone at that point, so if things are touch-enabled only, then the behavior is different. The only thing you could do is check the Ideas area of Community to see what is posted there and if nothing related to what you want, you could post something there. The only other thing would be the QlikView Mobile Client potentially, but I would suspect that may have similar limitations, but I am not sure. I honestly do not know if we have done a new release on that recently, do not believe so, so that may prove a problem too. Sorry I do not have anything better for you.