Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datagrrl
Creator III
Creator III

Possibility of having one sheet of every dashboard available to all potential users?

Currently our Qlikview dashboards are secured using a combination the usual methods (Sectioons Access, Windows Security. etc.)

I had someone today ask if we could make a single sheet of all dashboards available to everyone, so they can see the dashboard in Access Point. That sheet would also have information about how access is controlled (role based/AD).

I can think of ways to do this, but they would all involve listing out the thousands of potential users and whether they should or should not have access. It also would involve making sure objects and data were 100% locked down, and I am not sure how fail safe that is.

Any suggestions/feedback appreciated.

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

If I understand you right it would / could be a separate datamodel of your access meta-data which mustn't be directly related to your other data. If it's really unrelated there would be no conflicting with your applied access rules.

But listing an overview of all applications and their data/objects and which user/user-groups have to which of the data/objects an access and maybe also why could arouse desires and animate some users to bypass the logics, for example by searching for applications in which they could grab for certain data which may individual quite meaningless but by multiple combined it may be not harmless anymore.

Further thinkable are more attempts on a socializing level to get access to not permitted data and/or just a technically trial like a penetration tester to find any mistakes within the deployment and/or within the maintaining of the access-data.

Therefore such application could be valuable in regard of the compliance documentation but making it available for everyone ... I wouldn't recommend such approach.

- Marcus   

datagrrl
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thanks. I was wondering what you have seen other organizations do as far as ways to let people know dashboards that they might not have access to exist. Do you see a lot of implementations that use something other than access point as their front end?

marcus_sommer

I wouldn't say that I have many insights how it's handled within the majority of organizations.

It didn't exists in any company of our group neither by the (various) BI tools nor for the db/ERP tools. Also I doubt that many organizations have the capabilities to do such things because it required to have a high degree of controlling on the internal processes and many struggle quite heavily to maintain their core-data, organigram, mailing-lists and so on ...

Therefore I think it are rather exceptions where such approaches are successfully implemented.

- Marcus